Thursday, July 05, 2012

About Me

Was having a conversation with a friend recently and being in a smart alecky mood, I said something to the effect of, "And now, for fact #30 about me..." (gearing up to say something silly), but she interrupted and said, "I don't think I know 29 other things about you."  As such, I'm inspired to share 30 things about me.  This is hard.

  1. I really dislike meatloaf.  I think it's kind of gross.  My MIL, however, makes a pretty good meatloaf and I'll occasionally eat a little bit of it.
  2. I'm allergic to cherries.  And a bunch of other stuff.  But cherries seems like a funny thing to be allergic to.
  3. I prefer red skin potatoes over any other kind.  And I think yellow potatoes are weird.
  4. I prefer red grapes over green. 
  5. I adore red lipstick, but I'm too timid to wear it very often.  (I'm seeing a red theme here...)
  6. I cry easily when I'm really, really tired.
  7. I also cry when I'm really, really angry.
  8. When I laugh really hard, I alternate between coughing and snorting.  This is an embarrassing problem, but other people think it's hilarious.
  9. I once slapped my brother-in-law with a pair of leather gloves.  It's hard to convince anyone it was an accident, but it was!
  10. I'm a terrible athlete.  I'm not graceful and have terrible hand-eye coordination
  11. In spite of #10, I was a pretty good swing dancer 15 years ago.
  12. I clean and bake a lot when I'm upset.
  13. I hate when people interrupt me when I'm talking, but I have a terrible habit of interrupting others because I'm afraid I'll forget what I wanted to say and blurt it out before the other person is done talking.
  14. If I have decided that someone is not trustworthy, I will never trust that person.  Ever.
  15. I can count on one hand the number of times I've given a person a second chance in the trust department.  It backfired each and every time and I'm pretty sure resulted in #14.
  16. I can fit a whole Twinkie in my mouth.  This is not something that I'm proud of, but it's an interesting fact about me.
  17. I was given the award for "Most Generous" in junior high.  The boy who nominated me never brought or bought lunch because his parents couldn't afford it.  I gave him thirty-five cents almost every day so he could at least get milk and a snack (milk was ten cents and various little snacks were twenty five cents) and often split my own sandwich with him.  His much wealthier friends always made fun of him for being so skinny and it bothered me.  A lot.
  18. When I was really young, I was in the car with my dad and got horribly upset when I saw a police officer arresting a man who was selling flowers on a street corner.  My dad said the guy probably did something bad to get arrested.  I said maybe the guy had kids at home who were hungry and was down to his last few pennies and really needed to sell those flowers to get some money.  And now his family would be worried about why he wasn't home.  (Pretty sure #17-18 foretold my future in the helping profession.)
  19. I believe in magic.  I do know that illusionists and magicians have trade secrets, but there's a part of me that really believes magic is real.
  20. Same for fairies and angels.
  21. And ghosts!  I think ghosts are harmless for the most part, but I've had some seriously strange experiences that make me believe with 100% certainty that hauntings and spirits are real.
  22. Because of #20-21, I can't help but believe in scary spirit-stuff, too, and movies like The Exorcist really, really freak me out.
  23. I tried to cheat on a history test in my early teens.  The stupid thing of it was that I spent so much time trying to cram notes onto a tiny piece of paper, that I ended up remembering all of the info and didn't need to cheat.  Later on, I would minor in History in college and love every minute of it.
  24. I'm disappointed in things I've learned about the Catholic Church in recent years and that has led me to become far more spiritual and faithful in my beliefs, as opposed to just religious.
  25. Someone hurt me very, very badly a very, very long time ago, and even now, I still choke on the words whenever I try to tell someone about it.  As I sit here, I feel like my fingers are choking and I can't even type it out.
  26. My closest friends have always been males and I wish people could understand that men and women can, in fact, be just friends.  There's fierce debate over this topic, but for me, it's true.  I've never said that ALL men and women are capable of being just friends...just that it's possible for some people.
  27. I remember small, weird, random facts about the strangest things.  This random knowledge helped a girlfriend two years ago when she was complaining about feeling itchy, especially on her palms.  She was pregnant and I freaked out and told her to call the doctor right then and request a blood test to get her liver checked.  That phone call saved her and her baby.  When she asked me how I knew something like that, I was honest and told her I didn't know, but I was glad I remembered it, because she was going to let it go until her next appointment--which wasn't for another few weeks. 
  28. I dated a guy whose father won a Garth Brooks lookalike contest.  I always felt very weird when I was at their house--had to overcome the urge to ask for an autograph.
  29. I've never taken a real vacation with my husband.  He's not the traveling type and it was one of those things I didn't know until after we were married.  So, I just have to wait for my kiddo to get old enough to take some trips with me.
  30. I would like to take one martial arts lesson with Chuck Norris and have Betty White cheering me on in the background.
That's it.  Thirty random things about me.  :)

No comments: