Monday, June 27, 2011

Shopping

I've started taking couponing seriously.  Not seriously enough to end up on one of those extreme couponing TV shows, but enough that the cashiers at the stores flinch a little bit when I hand over the stack of little glossy papers for them to scan.  I've been saving an average of $22.00 per week.  I know that's not much in terms of my whole grocery budget, but it's still pretty good.  If I didn't have so much going on during the day, I'd spend more time going through sales papers and comparison shopping, but between two jobs and a busy home life, I just haven't made it a priority.

I've also been cautious about clothes and shoe shopping.  I was in desperate need of new shoes, and I admit that I spent more than I budgeted, but I was also happy that I got very good quality shoes on sale.  When I did my massive closet cleanout, I tried on all of my shoes and any that were too worn out or uncomfortable at all had to go.  That left me with no work shoes.  In the past few weeks, I bought 2 pairs of heels, 2 pairs of flats and 2 pairs of comfortable/everyday shoes, all Aerosoles.  My feet are happy, even though my wallet squeaked in fear when I took the money out. 

I also bought 2 blouses and 2 sweaters for work--a necessity since I now dress up almost every single day and I had to get rid of almost all of my blouses.  (I had to get rid of them because when I started swimming last year, my forearms bulked up a little with more muscle and the sleeves are too tight.)  I got a 30% off coupon and was lucky enough to find some nice blouses and sweaters on sale/clearance--I ended up spending about $30.00 total and saved $110.00.  Not too shabby, eh?

Now, if I could just figure out a way to further reduce my utility bills...

No comments: