Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Impatient Patient

I'm (im)patiently awaiting the results of my MRI. I went last week and learned two things about having an MRI done on the brain:

1. If you are claustrophobic, you will either completely freak out when the techs immobilize your head and clamp the heavy grate over your face OR you will suddenly figure out how not to be claustrophobic anymore.

2. It is possible to fall asleep while having an MRI done.

In the first category, I had some anxiety. I don't like being restrained in any manner whatsoever AND I don't like small spaces. I had no idea what I was in for. I freaked out a little bit at first, but did some deep breathing--then that metal thing locked over my face and I thought I was going to cry. Instead, I made a freaky sound with my mouth and growled, "Hellllooo Clarice..." a la Hannibal Lecter. It made the techs laugh.

In the second category, yes, I did end up dozing off for a few minutes. I kept my eyes closed because I didn't want to see the thing over my face or how small the space was. Between that, the deep breathing and then the rhythmic hum of the machine, I fell asleep for a few minutes.

So, now the question is, is there anything wrong with my brain? I doubt it. I was hoping to get a call from the doctor's office today with results, but no luck. I'm thinking if it was bad news, they would have called me by now. I'll be really intrigued if it turns out to be nothing more than an inner ear problem. If it is, how do I fix that so I quit falling down? Maybe an ENT will have some answers? I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself.

The hubs said with his luck, they'd complete the MRI and a picture of his face would pop up, indicating that he's the cause of my mental fogginess, dizziness and stumbling. :) Never mind the fact that I'm just tired. I wonder if that could be the diagnosis? I would write a check for another office visit co-pay to have the doctor write down, "Dx: Freakin' Exhausted." I wonder what the insurance would pay for that??

No comments: