Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Old Dog, New Tricks

I've decided it's time for me to learn a foreign language!

I took Spanish for 2 or 3 years in high school. I don't remember...it was a long time ago. I also took a year of Spanish in college and a year of conversational Spanish at work. After all of that, I can ask a few basic questions and give some simple answers. Things like, "Where is the bus?" "Where is the beer?" And the most important, "Where is the bathroom?" I can also ask, "Where is George?" I can give my name and age and I can say, "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish."

So no, I'm not going to go back and learn more Spanish. Truth is, I don't use it often enough and I tend to forget what I've learned.

I thought about sign language. That would be very beneficial in my line of work. But I don't have money to take the classes to be a certified translator.

The foreign language I'm learning? Well, it consists of one word and one phrase.

Word: "No." This is a very foreign word to me and I have a hard time pronouncing it, let alone saying it with any real conviction. This will take a lot of practice.

Phrase: "I love you." The only time I don't choke on it is when I say it to my daughter. But I mean it when I say it. I need to practice saying it out loud more often.

This should be an interesting endeavor.

Any new languages you're learning?

No comments: