Monday, September 13, 2010

Small World

You know those moments that occur--moments where things suddenly fall into place, moments beyond any real explanation, other than that it's providence, and Providence with a capital P! Today, one of my coworkers was not feeling well and she mentioned, a little too casually for my liking, that she was having crushing pain in her chest. She's a young lady, a mere 27 years old, with no history of heart problems, but I was not playing around.

After all, I was a mere 27 years old when I had crushing chest pain and my kiddo was only 5 days old and I was seeing my short life flash in front of my eyes.

I had the receptionist call 911 while I took care of her, and when the paramedics showed up, I was giving them a quick history when I made eye contact with one of them (who appeared to be supervising two student paramedics) and had an immediate flash of recognition. Those eyes. Blue. So blue. Piercing, almost fake looking, and almost creepy if not for the merriment that dances in them.

It was the same paramedic who took care of me that scary night, a little more than five years ago, when I had crushing chest pain and an erratic heartbeat. The same paramedic who lifted me off the floor, held me up with one hand and changed my clothes with the other hand, and so gently got me up onto the gurney and out to the ambulance. The same paramedic who came back and checked on me every single time he came back to the hospital that night. The same paramedic who has, since 2005, inspired me every Thanksgiving to send cookies to the local fire departments, thanking them for their dedication and service to our community.

I felt so good knowing that my co-worker was in his very strong and very capable hands.

And if that's not a clear example of God (or Jesus, or Angels or Guardian Angels or however you want to define it) at work, then I don't know what is. Wow.

No comments: