Friday, September 03, 2010

Blank

I've been sitting for about 10 minutes, staring at a blank screen and trying to remember what the heck I was going to write about. It's been a wacky week and I've been so scattered I can barely keep track of my own thoughts, let alone anything else.

I'm in the running for a promotion at work, which is both exciting and anxiety-provoking. There's some tough competition from within my own department. I'm doing what I can to prepare--my transfer application is in, along with my updated resume, and I've got three letters of recommendation in the works. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Things at home are pretty much the same. Kiddo is doing fairly well with adjusting to school. She likes her teacher, has made some new friends and really enjoys all the different classes and activities. However, she hates eating lunch at school. This week was better than last week, but she's still struggling. She lost a little over three pounds because she was so anxious during lunch that she just wasn't eating. We've been working hard to help her get over that hump and it looks like it's working.

Hubby is still not working. I never really thought that 14+ months after losing his job, he'd still be out of work, but he is. This is our last month of COBRA and we have yet to find insurance coverage. I know that if we go without insurance for six months, he and the kiddo will qualify for the new state transition insurance...I forget what it's actually called, but basically, it's kind of a hold-over for people like us, who aren't able to get affordable coverage anywhere else. The problem we run into over and over again is issues with pre-existing conditions. When we first started looking around, I thought the insurance companies couldn't do that because of HIPAA, but HIPAA only holds water when an individual is moving from one group policy to another group policy, not a group policy to an individual, private policy. Booooo.

Hmmm...anything else? Oh yeah. My hair. It's getting a little too gray for my liking. I think the stress of the past year has something to do with it. I was brushing my hair yesterday morning before work and was puzzled as to why a few sections were growing in so light--my hair is a medium brown with some hints of red and blonde, but this was a much, much lighter shade near the roots. Then I realized it wasn't light. It was gray. I bought some root touch up and used it last night. Thank you, Medium Golden Brown Root Touch Up for making my hair look normal again.

Tonight, I'm hanging out at home, irritated and in a bad mood overall. I really wanted to go swimming last night, but there was an outdoor concert at the stadium next to the park district pool and there was no parking. Tonight, there was a football game and again, no parking. Although tonight, there were a bunch of jerks tailgating and hogging anywhere from 2-4 parking space. So irritating. We're paid members for the aquatic center and couldn't even get in to use our memberships. I'm hoping to get to the pool tomorrow. I haven't gone since last Saturday--I swam 46 laps--and I miss it. It's honestly the best stress reliever for me. For that little while, it's just me and the water. No worrying about money or work or insurance or cleaning the house or anything. All I hear is the sound of my own breathing and the rush of the water. Best therapy in the world.

That's it, I guess. I'm glad it's a long weekend. I'm hoping to get some work done in the garden, taking the kiddo and myself for haircuts tomorrow, baking for a party the hubby is going to on Sunday and then getting ready for class next week. I suspect the weekend won't be nearly as relaxing as I'm hoping for, but I'll make the most of it. Maybe one night I can squeeze in a few hours of fun time and meet friends for a movie or drink or something.

Or maybe I'll just catch up on sleep. That would be good, too.

1 comment:

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

have a really good rest of your weekend. friday night funks due to friday nite lites seem to be a common thing in these counties, huh? silly they rule far more important then education. :(