Friday, July 02, 2010

Un-Jolly


This is totally and completely random. I've had a peculiar pain in the center-left side of my chest for the past few weeks. It's not medical, I assure you. No heart attack, no panic attack, no tumor, nothing like that.
I didn't recognize it at first. It was a small spot and the first time I felt it, I remember thinking that it was small, about the size of a Jolly Rancher. The corners were sharp and I could feel them cutting into me. It took a little while for me to recognize the feeling for what it was.
I was angry.
I don't give into feelings of anger very often. I prefer to be the type of person who just sort of skates along and deals with issues as they arise. I can feel my feelings, but I get to choose what I do with them, and anger is something that I prefer not to express. More often than not, it results in hurt feelings and I don't know about anyone else, but for me, expressing anger usually backfires, in the sense that it results in more angry feelings.
I like comparing my angry feelings to Jolly Rancher for a few reasons...
  • Jolly Ranchers are bitter. I don't really like Jolly Ranchers--they're supposed to be sweet, but for me, I think they leave a bad aftertaste. So does anger.

  • Even though I don't like Jolly Ranchers, they have a strangely addictive quality--if you have one, you want more, and too many Jolly Ranchers aren't good for you. Once anger is expressed, it tends to come out more often in increasingly destructive ways, and that's not good for you...or for the people around you.

  • Jolly Ranchers are small and neatly packaged, but if you unwrap them and leave them sitting out, they either get hard and sharp and can cut you, or they melt into a sticky mess. Same with anger.

  • If you put too many Jolly Ranchers in your mouth at one time, you can't articulate or get your point across. Too much anger has the same effect

  • If you try to swallow a Jolly Rancher whole, it really hurts going down and there's a good chance you'll choke on it. Anger works that way, too.

Soooo...that's it. Just my completely random thoughts for today. I have a long weekend, thank goodness, and a lot I need to get done. I have to do some weeding in the yard, tend to the garden, go grocery shopping, clean the house, do laundry, etc. And that's after putting 60 hours in 4 days. Yikes. Looks like I better get moving. It's after 10am and I have a lot to cram into the next 12 hours.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

2 comments:

Jim Latchford said...

I really liked this. Great analogy.
God bless and have a great Jolly Ranger free weekend.

A Joyful Chaos said...

This is a superb post! I always enjoy reading other's analogies. I think it's so neat how simple little things in life can preach a powerful message to us if we take time to listen.

Thanks again for sharing. I enjoyed it very much.