Thursday, June 03, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole

Or some kind of hole. That's where my days have been going. The hours have been bleeding into each other and once again, I'm squeaking by on 2-3 hours of sleep per night. And I'm working 16 hour days (Monday through Thursday) between my two jobs, plus doing work at home in the evenings and on weekends. My spouse and I have never been wealthy, but economic times have made things much more difficult than what's comfortable and the two-job scenario for me right now is a necessity.

Mr. Economy, you suck ass. Sorry for saying "ass" on what I consider to be a pretty friendly blog, but I'm feeling decidedly UNfriendly today.

Two more houses on my block have gone into foreclosure. Not mine--we're good with our house payments. But anyway, there were already two in foreclosure before these two. It's just a holy mess. We literally cannot sell our house. Our property taxes have gone up, but the property value is tanking. And the foreclosures are likely going to be turned around into Section 8 housing. Just not what I want to deal with. Make no mistake, I know there are plenty of people who are decent and nice and maintain their Section 8 properties. I work with a lot of those people--both staff and clients! My concern is that the foreclosed homes that have been purchased by private buyers were, well, purchased by buyers who could afford them. Let's just say I'm not surprised by the fact that it suddenly seems like there are more police cars cruising through the neighborhood lately. Boooooo. This was a nice, perfectly reasonable, working-class family neighborhood five years ago. In some ways it still is, but you can tell that it's teetering on the brink of going one way or the other. I just keep hoping it lands on the good way.

In my next lifetime, I'm either going to be independently wealthy so I don't have to worry about finances, or...wait a minute. There is no "or". I'm just going to be independently wealthy. So there.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Just saying...I can't imagine working as hard as you do, especially in a job in which you're so emotionally involved with your clients. I don't know how you do it. I hope you find your happiness in the few hours you have off!