Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Money and Sunshine

In spite of not great financial circumstances, I've been doing a pretty good job of managing the household budget. There's not much wiggle room, that's for sure, but even so, I've been frugal, so things are getting paid and paid on time...and we're even getting ahead in some areas! I mailed the last payment for the hubby's car today, so as soon as the check clears, we officially own it. That's a good feeling. We also had to buy a new computer in November when our laptop and desktop went kaput at the same time...we bought a package through Best Buy with 0% financing for a year, but we knew we'd only need a few months to take care of it. Our fourth payment will be the last payment, and that's in just a few days.

That's two pretty big bills out of the way. I put us on a debt reduction plan because I cannot stand owing money--and even worse, paying interest on the money that's owed. Other than a few unexpected medical bills, everything is right on target. We're still planning on selling the house, though the issue of when has become a big question. We were trying to get it ready for this month, but it looks like it's going to be postponed until May. There are so many homes in our neighborhood for sale and I worry about whether we'd even be able to get a buyer. Some of the homes have been for sale for over a year, and still several others are standing empty after being foreclosed upon. If the hubby finds a job in the next few months, our plan is to keep the house for probably another year, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Although, I pointed out to my husband that if we stick to our debt reduction plan, we'll have our house paid off in 2021, which will only be 16 years into our 30 year mortgage. Of course, that's if things work out as planned, and honestly, it seems silly to me to try and make such long term financial plans when the economy is still such a mess. Job prospects continue to be grim for the hubby and I don't know what will happen in June when his unemployment benefits run out. We're hopeful he'll be able to get an extension, but his last statement showed that all benefits terminate on June 27th. All we can do is wait.

Other than that, we're coasting along. The weather has been beautiful and we actually got into the 70s today. Sunny, breezy AND the tulips and daffodils are getting ready to bloom. Hello to Spring, my how I've missed you!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I grew up in a house of savers. And being frugal. You're doing a great job for you family with your planning. I hope your husband finds a job. That would make life so much better for you all. Emily is trying to find a job. Any job. So far, no luck.