Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stuff

I made butternut squash soup tonight. A big, big pot of it. I'm the only one who likes it. The hubby wouldn't go near the pot (he doesn't like squash) and the kiddo made a very sweet effort, but after a few spoonfuls, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I just kind of don't like it. Is that okay?" I told her of course it was okay. All we ask is that she try something and if she doesn't like it, that's fine. She eats healthy enough that I'm not going to squawk about her not liking the soup. I made her a quesadilla instead. And then I ate two bowls of the soup. Yummy. I froze some of it (I hope it freezes okay) and then put some in the fridge for my lunch for the next few days.

Our new doggie is slowly adjusting to the house, but we've got some work to do. She has pretty good house manners, but she has some bad habits. Like eating rabbit poop. And making me sneeze. Actually, the sneezing isn't really her fault. We waited so long to get a pet because of our kiddo's breathing problems and allergies, never once considering that I might have a problem. I'm hoping it eases up soon, because I don't want to have to give her back.

Saw Hottie Doc on Wednesday. I knew something wasn't right as soon as he came into the exam room. He was pleasant, asked how I'd been feeling, asked about my family and Christmas and made idle chit-chat as he got me ready for the scope, but something was off. The scope is usually just a few minutes, but I noticed it was taking an unusually long time. Normally, he tells me what he sees (or doesn't see) as he's going along, but he was pretty quiet until the end. After he was done, he had me sit up and asked how I'd been feeling. I told him that other than feeling a little fat from holiday-indulgence, I'd been feeling okay. He assured me that the scope was clear, but he was concerned because my labs came back with some abnormal blood cells, which are very similar to what was showing up last year...last year when the first tumor I had was still too small to see. So, we wait and watch. It's only frustrating because it's a constant waiting game. Wait, wait, wait. He's sending out more labs and we'll see what comes back, if anything, and then I see him again in April, and again three months after that...and three months after that...you get the idea. It's procedures every three months for the next two years. I'm afraid that I'm single-handedly raising our agency's group health insurance premium.

What else? Hmmmm... The hubby is at a birthday party tonight for one of his friends, the kiddo is in bed and the doggie is in bed. I have the house to myself. And I think I'm going to go to bed early.

G'night...

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

So sorry that you have to live with this worry. I'd be beside myself with worry.

I love butternut squash soup, but since trying The Pioneer Woman's Carrot and Squash Curry soup, which is SO easy, I'm not going back. Butternut squash is so hard to cut up.

SkippyMom said...

Thanks for letting me know that beans freeze well! It is so funny you are the second Martha I met today - and I have never met anyone named Martha!

I'll bring my beans and we can swap, 'kay? I love butternut squash soup. Oh yum!

Sorry that you have to worry now. I haven't read your whole blog [yet!] but I am sure this is a very hard thing ... please take care. You seem to have a pretty upbeat attitude [love it!] which will take you a long way.

But I suspect you know that, eh? Take care and thanks again.