Monday, January 25, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

I'm on my lunch break at work right now...thinking about what the heck to do for the dinner menu this week! This will be a simple menu--we're short on both time and money this week, but that's actually okay. Basic meals are good!

Monday (today)~ Breakfast for dinner! Eggs and pancakes and smoothies. Yummy!

Tuesday~ Smoked sausage and vegetable stir-fry...this is one of our favorites at Mongolian Grill and it's way cheaper to make it at home.

Wednesday~ Rocket Soup and Grilled Cheese. Rocket Soup is the kiddo's invention--it's tomato soup with mini-meatballs, shredded cheese and a variety of vegetables. It looks funny and smells funny, but tastes really good.

Thursday~ "One Dish Wonder"...chicken with green beans, almonds and rice. It's all made in one skillet and only takes 30 minutes total. Yay for quick and tasty dinners!

Friday~ It's our weekly pizza night. We take a basic frozen pizza, add veggies and an extra sprinkle of mozzarella, and we're good to go!

It may be silly, but I enjoy menu planning for the workweek. It keeps my grocery budget within reason (because I'm not buying any extras or running out at the last minute for a forgotten ingredient), it reigns in our spending on eating out because there's always something at home AND it makes me feel a teensy bit more in control of what has lately been a seriously out-of-control life.

1 comment:

SkippyMom said...

I watched a segment on GMA last week about a woman who menu planned a whole year. After raising so many kids you have to understand we hate the "What's for dinner" question...so I surprised my husband with a whole year of dinners.

I was shocked that I made it through 4.5 months without repeating anything [except ham, b/c of Easter] and it is all not expensive - except for special occasions and birthdays and we can now stock up on sales as they come available and not have to plan one week at a time based on the fliers and coupons.

I know not everyone can do this - but I can't tell you what a relief it is for us.

And I LOVE the idea of rocket soup - we have our own version too, but I like your name better ;) and breakfast for dinner always rocks!