Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to politics, but just for today...

Before I start this post, I should mention that I'm in a terrible mood tonight and mad at the world.

I get the uproar, both good and bad, but I am fed up with people yammering about the election upset in Massachusetts. It may not be politically correct to say so, but I don't care. I care about the country that I live in and the people who live here, and the service men and women who protect our rights and freedoms. I care that there are good and bad things about both political parties and that there are pros and cons to the Democratic health plan, just like there would be pros and cons to a Republican health plan.

I don't care about one random guy.

Now that being said, if I was an evil overlord and one of my henchmen asked me, "But your majesty, what can one random guy do?", I would say "This," and then shoot the henchman. Correction, I'd shoot him first, and then say, "This." For the record, I do not utilize weapons, unless you count my shriek-y, shrill-y voice when I'm really upset. Mostly, I just roll with things, blog about it a little bit and then get over it, but tonight, I'm venting.

I know plenty of people are horrifed and plenty of people are celebrating this whole Massachusetts thing. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Here's the thing. Politics are jacked up, no matter which political party you support. In my experience, folks align themselves with one party or another based on the general opinions and beliefs of a party member. I try not to take beliefs too much into consideration, because I know myself, and I know that what I believe and what I believe in may not necessarily be what I would choose to do in my own life or what I'd like to see people around me do. (Ex.: Since I made a smart ass comment about shooting a henchman, let me just say that in theory, I like the right to bear arms, but I don't want my drunken neighbor having one on his person during his Memorial Day party when he may accidentally shoot out someone's window.) Everyone is affected by politics in some way, shape or form, but I don't think I can personally hold any single politician responsible for what's going wrong in the world. I might think it on occasion, but I'm realistic about things.

I make an effort not to bad-mouth either political party or politicians in general. Aside from the fact that I don't know the politicians on a personal level and it's not fair to judge them as people, I think it's just not nice to bad-mouth at all. I do it, of course. We all do. Some of the most devout Christians I know are the worst when it comes to bad-mouthing, saying truly horrible things. I'm sure God is proud of you. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

I know plenty of people who feel like they've been screwed over by the Democratic party. And I know plenty of people who feel like they've been screwed over by the Republican party. But there are plenty of people who feel the opposite of whatever the majority feels at any given moment. The same half-assed politicians that played a role in the funding problems that led to my husband's job loss are the same politicians that played a role in the funding that has kept me working. That's Illinois politics for you. Come to think of it, that's politics in general.

I don't know what the Massachusetts election will mean for our nation in the short run or in the long run, but unless that guy can single-handedly cure the cancer that's trying to make a come-back in my body, ensure that my husband starts working in the next month so we don't have to sell our house, figure out how we can actually get and keep decent health insurance for him and for our daughter, and serve me a glass of wine and some chocolate chip cookies, I'm not interested.

Fooey on you, politics.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

So true, Sister.

Cheryl said...

Very, very well-said Martha. I'm a Democrat, but I'm very impressed by this guy. The system is broke and we need some passionate men and women to try their best to fix it.

Margaret said...

I just told Robin the other night--after seeing some of the governor debate--that this state needs a temporary dictator, a la MacStewart, to get things back in order. How sad is that?

Marni said...

Bravo!

Jim Latchford said...

Again passionately and genuninely spoken. I (admittedly) fall into the ranting and raving column of venting my spleen against the current adminsitration and Democrat controlled congress. But in the end, I too want what you want...a job for your husband, affordable health care, your home for life, happiness for each of you, and a little normalcy for us all.