Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Being Home

It's nice to be off work right now. I'm getting some things organized around the house and more importantly, regaining control of my kitchen. I have such a hard time when things are out of order and messy, so it's been fantastic to bring a sense of "normal" back to daily life. My kiddo got an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas from one of her uncles, so I'm clearing out a cabinet for her to keep her things...she feels so grown up! She enjoys helping me in the kitchen, so having her own space really adds to that.

I've been getting my closet back in order, too. You have to understand that in my world, there's a place for everything and everything needs to be in its place. It's how I keep my sanity. But really, I typically have my closet organized by item (ex. sweaters), and then by color (dark to light). The past few months though, my bedroom and closet have been a study in chaos.

I'm trying to get my darling spouse on some type of schedule not only for household stuff, but for our kiddo, too. Having been home and having the opportunity to see what the days are like when I'm not here has been...um...interesting. It's not bad, that's not what I mean. It's just chaotic, and I can see how and why my kiddo has been so out of sorts. Her entire routine is way off and I'm no longer surprised by how agitated she's been. I noticed several months ago that she was getting kind of moody, not listening as well, losing patience and getting upset over the smallest things. And of course, she's 4, so she's got the regular 4-year-old mood swings and emotions that are totally normal, too.

I suppose some of it is just the difference in parenting style. And my way is better. Hahahaha! Just kidding. I think because our kiddo thrives on routine and I'm more of a "routine" person, she just responds better to that than the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach her dad takes. I talked to him about establishing some kind of structure. Not necessarily a schedule to account for every minute of the day, but even a general breakdown like the pre-school follows. She misses seeing her friends and being in the classroom, so maybe I can encourage him to bring some of that home.

Everything else is same old, same old. I go to the doctor again tomorrow to have my incision checked. It's still not healed, but this is the best it's been in a month. Hopefully the incision will finish closing up in the next two weeks, because I have an appointment with Hottie Doc in January for my next scope, and I'm not keen on having another procedure done if I'm still not healed from this surgery.

Speaking of January, can you believe that we're hovering on the brink of 2010? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready to close the door on 2009. It was a rough year! A few people asked if I'm making any New Year's resolutions...not really. My main goals for 2010 are to increase how often I write in my journals, make more of an effort to get to sleep at a decent time and to improve my posture. Reasonable goals.

I have to go check on dinner now. I have a chicken in the crock pot, and I think I'm going to make some couscous, along with a vegetable. Maybe broccoli? Or asparagus? I also have squash, but I'm really the only one who eats it. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions!

No comments: