Friday, September 18, 2009

Quiet Around Here

It's quiet around here because I can't freakin' talk! I went to the doctor yesterday, which it turns out was a very, very good thing. By the time I got there, it felt like someone had shoved an old sock into the back of my throat.

Not that I've ever had an old sock in my throat, it just seemed like a good analogy.

I knew it wasn't my tonsils, because those have been gone since 2006. All I knew is that I didn't feel well and if it had been an option, I would have shoved my hand down my throat to pull out whatever was there. It was a good thing I didn't try it, because there wasn't anything to pull out. It's just that swollen.

I knew when I woke up yesterday that whatever cold bug I had was worse. I couldn't seem to speak any louder than a squeaky whisper and I was having trouble swallowing--not just that it hurt to swallow, which it did, but more that I physically couldn't seem to swallow. And every time I tried to take a deep breath, it felt like my throat was closing up. Well, that's because it was.

I'm always impressed when a doctor looks at something and has a response along the lines of, "What in God's name is that?" Heh heh. It's an infection, plain and simple, but it had been brewing for a while and had moved far down into my pharynx, spread beyond that and caused inflammation in my voicebox, too. No strep, thank goodness, but still icky.

The doctor laughed when I said I'd get my antibiotic filled and head back into the office. She laughed. Literally laughed out loud and said, "Um, what exactly makes you think I'm going to give you permission to go back to work today? Or tomorrow, for that matter?" Then she handed me a note that said I was to stay home until Monday. I don't mind a day off every now and then, but it's better when it's to do something fun and not because I'm sick.

Oh, and the part about it being quiet around the house? It's because I'm supposed to be on "voice rest" for 72 hours. It seemed better this morning, so of course I was my stubborn self and started chatting with the hubby, only to have blinding pain an hour later and my voice return to a puberty-stricken-Peter-Brady sound.

I learned my lesson. I'm keeping quiet and resting.

My husband isn't complaining about the quiet part.

2 comments:

Jim Latchford said...

Be paitent and get better soon. Some times in our self impossed silence we hear ourselves best. God's blessings often come in whispers. Therefore, God Bless...

Cheryl said...

Well I'm a little late here :)
Is the infection gone and your voice back? Noise in the house again? I hope so!