Friday, September 11, 2009

Nine Eleven

Seems like it should just be another day, doesn't it? But it isn't.

September 11, 2001 was my one-month wedding anniversary and it wasn't getting off to a very good start. I was driving to work, still seething over a fight I'd had with my husband the night before that had culminated in me throwing a potato peeler at him. We'd gone to bed without speaking and hadn't even made eye contact that morning.

I was driving south on a local route to my office when I turned on the radio and was confused by what I was hearing. Was it some kind of prank? What was going on. And then, I heard one of the DJs say, "What the...?" and I heard a strange, muffled crashing sound. There was silence for a moment, and then the DJ said, "Oh my God, a plane just went into the second tower." They were watching the news in the background and the muffled crash I heard was from their television--the sound of the second plane slamming into the tower.

I called home and asked my husband to please put on CNN and tell me that I wasn't hearing what I thought I was hearing. The rest of the day was spent agonizing, waiting and worrying. Our fight from the night before was gone. Done. Couldn't remember what it was even about. (Although I do remember now and it had to with him not helping with the dishes or the thank you notes from our wedding--dumb, I know.)

I know that for many people, life changed dramatically that day, and September 11th has a much more significant impact for some people than for others. I suppose no American will forget what happened on September 11, 2001. But like it or not, life goes on.

On September 11, 2004, I found out I was pregnant. I was listening to a local station, hearing people discuss the anniversary, and I was standing in the bathroom, open-mouthed, staring at a stunning positive result on a home pregnancy test.

One year later, on September 11, 2005, my little baby girl was Baptized.

Each year, September 11th comes and goes, bringing with it memories, sadness, and in some cases, a reminder of sweetness shining through the dark.

Here's to you, America.

No comments: