Saturday, September 26, 2009

Better Yet?

It seems like I should be all better after a week of antibiotics, but I still can't quite seem to shake whatever I've got. I'm definitely better than last week, but just feeling off.

I'm feeling good enough that I made a pan of fudge and I'm making "eyeball cupcakes" later this afternoon for my hubby's friends who are coming over to play poker. Are you curious about eyeball cupcakes? Yes? Good! Let me tell you about them...

It's actually a combination of two recipes from Taste of Home and Wilton. I'm making a basic red velvet cake recipe, but instead of baking a cake, I'll be making cupcakes. After they're cooled, I'm going to carefully cut circles about an inch deep in the tops. Then I'm going to spoon in some seedless raspberry preserves, drop in a gummy eyeball, then replace the tops of the cupcakes. I'm going to cover them with white icing, then pipe red "veins" on them, and finish it off with a green lifesaver (for the iris of the eye) and a chocolate chip (for the pupil). So...they'll look like eyeballs and our guests will find a "bloody eyeball" in the middle when they bite into it.

I'm not telling any of the guests about the eyeballs in the middle. I'll let them be surprised.

Another fun variation is to make chocolate cupcakes, then spoon in some chocolate pudding and a gummy worm!

Have I mentioned that I really, really, REALLY like Halloween?

3 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

great idea on the cupcakes! How'd they turn out? I'm sure they were a great hit, huh?

Hope you're feeling better! what a nasty nasty bug you got!

at least it's not swine-

now that would be crossing a line. :)

Cheryl said...

Aren't you creative? I hope the guys enjoyed your effort.

Jim Latchford said...

And I thought I was being creative with my Bedpan Brownies...