Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

I've been in a really foul mood for the past week. Scowling, complaining, ornery in general. I want to feel better. I want someone to wave a magic wand and make my world a better place.



In other words, I want somethin' for nothin'.



Since I know that's not going to happen, I had to make a conscious choice today to just buck up and get over my circumstances. Life handed me lemons, so I'll make lemonade. Or I'll tuck 'em in my bra--can't hurt, might help. (I read that somewhere when I was in high school!) Plus, I do like citrus scents.



Anyway, I reminded myself this afternoon that out of everything in my life that I can't control (job loss, cancer, allergies, rude people, etc.), the one thing I get to be perfectly in control of is my attitude. My emotions and feelings sometimes take on a life of their own, but at the end of the day, I get to decide what I do with them and how I portray myself to the world.



Do I want to come across as a crabby, mean-spirited, shrew? Even if I am one? No, of course not. I mean, being a shrew has its advantages, but in the end, it's not really worth it. I'd like to save the bad-attitude "big guns" for bigger, more important issues.



Today, I took the time to thing about what I should be grateful for and happy about--I kinda got out of that daily routine, so it's time I re-started it.



1. A long-lost, 63 year old picture of a grandmother that I never got to meet (many thanks to my sister who receive this picture from an aunt and was kind enough to share it):

2. Fun ideas for a Halloween cake...I'm trying to decide between a Frankenstein or graveyard theme.

3. Nice weather with a touch of Autumn in the air.

4. Being there for someone who just needs me to listen.

5. My insurance company paying for my surgery, post-op care and subsequent ER visit!

They're all little things, I suppose, but they're a big deal to me and I'm thankful.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good attitude about the attitude. Most of the time I'm OK. Sometimes I get down but it's usually for reasons unknown to me. You have a lot going on. Life handed you something that you didn't expect or deserve, but you know you're going to be alright, which is fantastic. Most people don't realize they can change their way of thinking and therefore change their attitude, but you do. So, you go girl.

Love the picture of your grandma. Seeing something like that probably makes her so real to you. Look at how young and tough she looks.

I'll be looking for a new cake on your sidebar cake/hall of fame.

Hope today is good!

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

BTW, use GPS blocker to disable all spy transmitters in your room or office.