Saturday, August 01, 2009

August Already?

Summer is really zipping along. I'm a little sad, because of course I spent another summer working too much and not playing enough, but turning the calendar to August today gave a little thrill.

Why?

Because July sucked. Sorry, but it did.

Plus, turning the calendar means I'm another day closer to my next birthday. Awesome. Some people don't like getting older, but I'm not one of them. Turning 30 was a highlight for me. Turning 31 was awesome. Can't wait for 32.

I hated my teen years. Didn't like high school. I enjoyed college, but my early 20s were kind of awkward--that age where kids are trying to be adults and find themselves. Yeah, that was me. My mid-20s were peppered with the ups and downs of being a newlywed and navigating that new relationship. Not that being married was bad, but it's a big adjustment and anyone who knows me is fully aware that I DO NOT LIKE CHANGE.

Now, in fairness, that's not really true. I love change. As long as I'm in charge of the change.

I navigated my later 20s being a new mom and dealing with "stuff" that still gives me a headache when I think about it.

Turning 30 meant leaving behind a decade of more problems than solutions. Now, I'm not an eternal optimist, but I had it in my head that my 30s would rock my world. It didn't occur to me that my 30s would also bring a few extra strands of gray hair, deeper lines around my eyes and mouth, a slower metabolism, some freaky health problems and a general shift overall in how I relate to people.

In spite of that, I feel a tingling awareness in myself. Something telling me that the time for change is NOW. I don't know yet what that change is, but the feeling is strong enough that I've made a few decisions about my career and my future (more on that later). I feel like I crossed the finish line on the first third of my life and now I'm at the starting line for the second third of my life. Can't wait to see what's waiting for me on this new path.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love your optimism! As long as you stay optimistic, your future will be bright. Sounds like a fortune in a cookie, huh?