Sunday, April 26, 2009

5K in the Rain

Well, I got myself moving today for the March of Dimes/March for Babies with Team Alyssa Shannon today. Before I get into the details, I feel the need to share the love and tell everyone that there's elk poop on my running shoes. It was pouring rain almost the whole time, which was okay. What I hadn't considered was that the puddles I was splashing through had a funky color and an even funkier odor. The puddles couldn't be avoided, so I just sloshed on through and didn't even make the connection until after I hit the finish line. My shoes are now outside my house and I'll be hosing 'em off later.

But now the good stuff...I'm excited that our team raised $1,110! I was even more excited that through the generous support of friends and family, I raised $365--the amount made even better by the fact that my personal fundraising goal was $250. Knowing that goal was exceeded just blew me away.

The whole thing was an amazing experience. I was honestly overwhelmed by the number of people joining together to honor so many children--children who were born as tiny preemies and today were toddling along the path, children who fought the fight and lost, children who never had a chance...I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

And today's 5K was made even more special when Kim announced that she and her husband Mark are expecting another baby. I could hardly contain my tears as I hugged her and congratulated her, thinking the whole time that sweet Alyssa Shannon would have been an amazing big sister. I know she's looking down from Heaven, loving her mommy and daddy and sharing in the joy of the anticipation of another child.

Then Kim asked me about participating in another 5K in June, and of course, I told her yes!

2 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

good for you!! And congratulations to Kim and Mark!!!

E

Margaret said...

I'm glad you made it through the rain-- it was quite a downpour at times!