Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who's the Hero of Your Story?

I'm overwrought and overtired, which means I'm overly analyzing things.

Today, one of friends at work told me that I do a really good job and that she admires my integrity, my ability to relate to others, that I work well under pressure amid the myriad of crises we face each day, my empathy and genuine desire to help others. She smiled and said, "You are the hero in so many of the stories here."

I know she meant that as a compliment, but I felt like I was sucker punched. It occurred to me, if I'm the hero in so many other stories, who gets to be the hero in my story?

I think if nothing else in this life, I deserve to be that for myself. The hero in my own story...

1 comment:

Jim Latchford said...

After all is said and done, you are the author of your own story. It is being written whether you like it or not. That which has been already written cannot be undone. We only have today to yet write another line or chapter in our lives which may serve to be the prelude for what we write about ourselves in the future. Therefore, my friend, take pen in hand and write your name in bold print. Under that write in even larger print "HERO!" It's your book...it's your life. Be who you wish to be and be who you know you are. Leave the editing to God.