Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Forgive and Forget

I've written some thought provoking (and some obnoxious) posts over the years on my other blog (that I share with my awesome, amazing sisters) about lies, love, karma, revenge and forgiveness. If you want to take a peek, you can go HERE or HERE or HERE or even HERE.

And yet, even after all this time, the question remains...how do I forgive someone who a.) doesn't want forgiveness, or b.) isn't sorry? I know that I should forgive for the sake of forgiving. That's what God calls us to do. At least, that's how I see it. I'm sure God has forgiven me for a whole slew of things I've done, and He's forgiven me because that's what He does. He takes my burden and He forgets it. Any burden that I feel afterward is my own doing.

So, I'm having a hard time forgiving and forgetting the indiscretions of someone else. It's not right, but I acknowledge it and own it. And yet, I'm still struggling, not only with that, but also with forgiving myself for being angry. I don't necessarily have a point to this post--just sorting things out in my head.

More nonsense later.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I had a long-time friend that was really abusive to me, emotionally. We had a parting of the ways over a disagreement. I wrote tens of e-mails that I never sent, and thought about it all the time. It took about 5 months for me to get to the point that I could forgive her. I wrote to her and told her that I forgave her, even if she never felt that she did anything that needed forgiving. She didn't take it well, and that was the end. I still think about her. We have a long history. Some relationships just have to die their natural death.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I wish I knew Martha..
it's hard to forget and forgive too--although that's what we're supposed to do..
like Cheryl said on the last line, it's so true..sad and hard and never far from your mind but true.

Hang in there. :)
it's nice today!
YEA!