Friday, February 06, 2009

Friday Five

I'm snagging a really quick break at work and wanted to share some happy thoughts...

First, I firmly believe that every morning has the potential to be good, thus leading to a good day. So, a long while ago, I decided that I need to think about five things that I'm either happy about or grateful for each morning. It guarantees that I get out of bed with a smile on my face. Here's my Friday Five:

1. My kiddo woke me up at 2:30 this morning just to give me a hug and tell me she loves me. Then she went back to bed. This by itself is enough to make me smile for the next week.

2. Blue sky and sunshine. Woo-hoo!

3. After a lengthy battle with being sick, I can breathe through my nose again.

4. I got up early enough and had enough energy that I decided to do 20 minutes of Pilates before work.

5. Warmer weather is on its way!

I also wanted to share my good deed for the day. Totally NOT looking for any acknowledgement, but I like sharing good things. I was on my way into work and at a busy intersection, I saw a boy, maybe about 16-17 years old, trying to turn left into the gas station. His car had obviously died and he was stuck out in the lane and couldn't get into the gas station parking lot. I pulled over and offered to help him push it as cars were whizzing by, blaring their horns at him. He was terrified and at first wouldn't even roll down his window to talk to me. Apparently, my jeans, sweater and boots make me intimidating! Anyway, after I convinced him that I'm harmless, he and I started pushing his car, but it was a steep driveway and we were struggling. Around this time, two other gentleman offered to help and we got his car up and into the parking lot. One of the gentleman asked me if I ran out of gas. I just said, "Nope, not me. My car's over there." I pointed to it with a smile on my face, then called out over my shoulder as I walked away, "Thanks for helping. Have a good day!" The two men and the boy stood there dumbfounded. Why? I have no idea. All I know is that goodness is contagious and I've felt great all morning!

4 comments:

Jim Latchford said...

Playing a kindness forward is a tune rhat sings in your heart all day long. You go girl!!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like you're doing better. I like you idea of thinking of 5 things to be happy or grateful for. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Your new profile picture looks so different. Which one looks the most like you?

Martha said...

Cheryl, the new profile picture is from this past Christmas, so it's me with my short hair and my fine lines and wrinkles (which may not be as noticeable since the picture is a little blurry), plus I'm actually wearing makeup. The old profile picture was probably four years old!

Cheryl said...

I like this picture, and we all have those lines! The only ones who don't have been airbrushed out! Trust me, I only post the best pictures of myself. I'm often aghast at how I look in pictures!