Monday, January 05, 2009

In Desperate Need of Some Zzzzzz

I. Am. So. Tired.

I was on call last week for the crisis line--it's an important part of my job, I know, but it kicked my butt this time around. Those 2:30am calls are brutal, especially after a 14-hour day. There's nothing like trying to wake up from a sound sleep to help someone with a crisis--it's a good feeling for the most part--but then there's the brutal part of not being able to go back to sleep. Argh. I was happy to pass it on to the next staff person this morning.

I haven't been sleeping well, even aside from that. I'm averaging about 4 hours a night, and it's not even a continuous 4 hours. It's more like 20 minutes here, an hour there, 15 minutes, etc. You get the idea. My brain is in a constant fog. I can't take any sleep aids (due to a husband who sleeps like a stone and is apparently incapable of waking up with a sick three-year-old in the wee hours of the morning, unless I physically shove him off the bed...), and I really wouldn't want to anyway.

I feel like I've tried everything...avoiding television and computer before bed, not bringing work into the bedroom, working toward relaxing earlier in the evening and changing my workout time so I'm not getting revved up an hour before bed. I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. I stopped late night eating. I've tried journaling and creative visualization. I've done everything I encourage my insomniac clients to do and none of it is working.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? Anything you've tried that's been helpful? I don't like warm milk, but I'm getting desperate. I'm open to suggestions...

3 comments:

Marni said...

Melatonin (I think that is how it is spelled) is an herbal remedy that might help. It doesn't cause the deep sleep of a sleep aid, but will help you relax.

jAMiE said...

I'm sorry i don't have any suggestions....i sleep with the help of medication...but i hope you get some sleep soon.

I enjoy the music on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Herbal teas...try lavendar.