Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I think most people are thankful for the basics...jobs, homes, family, health, etc. That's sort of a given, right? I got to thinking about what else I'm thankful for, sort of beyond those basics.

I'm thankful (and not just at Thanksgiving!) for the 2 paramedics who saved my life three and a half years ago...thank you Dave and Scott!

I'm also thankful for the team of surgeons who collaborated on my eye case--no thanks to the little (or kinda big) problem with my corneas. I'm thankful to Dr. D, Dr. S and Dr. L who did the initial consultations. I'm thankful to Dr. P who did the actual procedures...the LASIK part was pretty cool and relatively painless, but the other cornea stuff that was taken care of--well--not not so cool and not so painless. I had some serious hurtin' going on for a few hours afterward. But the doc did a phenomenal job and at my 24-hour checkup this morning, I found out that the surgery worked so well, it looks like I WON'T be needing a cornea transplant anytime soon. Yay! (Thanks for the cheerful delivery of the good news Dr. L! That was a great way to start our Thanksgiving morning!)

I'm incredibly thankful for our wonderful pediatrician...my little girl is continuing to struggle, but Dr. J is the best! This is a man who gave me his personal cell phone number so that I could call him today (TODAY! Yes, on Thanksgiving!) and give him a status report on my daughter. He kept her out of the hospital for Thanksgiving, and even though we had to cancel our family plans, we're still celebrating in our own way at home, just us. I'm thankful that even though her airways are still badly constricted and she's running a fever, she gets to be home with mommy, instead of in a hospital surrounded by strangers.

I'm thankful for my family, who helps out with my little one...especially taking over the intense care she requires when I start to lose my patience. And I'm thankful for their help around the house. I may not always like the way or the order in which they do things, but I'm thankful they're getting done and that I don't have to do them.

I'm thankful for my KitchenAid Stand Mixer.

And I'm thankful for my Frigidaire, glass cooktop, electric convection oven. It was the one appliance I insisted on when we moved into our house in 2005 and I haven't been sorry yet! Today, I've turned out 16 dozen cookies--a mix of Snickerdoodle, Double Chocolate Mint, M&M, and regular chocolate chip. Yummy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. What are you thankful for this year?

2 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I know what you mean about sick children..vulnerable feeling for us parents.

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad that you're okay!

E~

Cheryl said...

Wow! I'm thankful that your daughter is starting to get better. That you have patience and a husband that helps the best he can. That your surgery went well.

I'm also thankful for my KitchenAid stand mixer!