Thursday, November 20, 2008

Even if you don't believe in God...

...can you pray for my daughter and/or send some positive mental energy my way? My little one is quite sick again and not doing well. It started with a suspicious cough in the middle of the night last night and she just couldn't sleep. It escalated and she started sounding worse, so we got an appointment with the pediatrician. The visit went okay--he changed up a few meds and gave us some new instructions--but we're on standby right now to see if we'll be heading to the ER. Her breathing is getting more shallow and raspy, but she can't take the medicine she needs because she's vomiting so badly and so frequently. It's like her little body is just shrinking in front of me. She lost a half pound since this morning, most likely fluid loss from the vomiting and fever, but it's still scary to see.

I love her to pieces, but I can say in all honesty that raising her isn't quite what I expected it to be. That's not to say I'm unhappy as her mommy--I love her too much to ever be unhappy about that! It's just different, you know? I see my beautiful (and quite healthy) nieces and nephews; I see my friends and co-workers with their children...and they seem so, well...normal. Does that make sense? I mean, they get their fair share of cuts and scrapes, viruses and infections, and my youngest nephew (and his mommy, my poor sister!) had a terrifying MRSA ordeal when he was a baby. Kids get sick, of course, but most of the people I know just deal with the run-of-the-mill stuff. My kiddo is just a little different. If you're interested, I posted a little bit about it on the blog I have with my sisters.

Anyway, her father is holding her and rocking her right now, giving me a much needed break. I would work day and night to take care of her (and believe me when I say I have), but honestly, I was starting to feel a little emotionally un-glued after the past six hours. I'm very grateful that he's here tonight and that he's not the kind of guy who thinks he shouldn't have to take care of a sick child. While he's taking care of her, I'm going to start the next load of sodden towels. It's going to be a long night...

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry your daughter is so sick and I will be praying for her to get better. I can't imagine how draining this is for you. :((

Marni said...

It breaks my heart that you are going thru all of that!!! Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Hugs to you and your family.