Friday, October 17, 2008

When Good Mommies Go Mad

Okay, I consider myself to be a pretty mild-mannered person. I have my moments, don't get me wrong, but in my line of work, I've trained myself very well to keep my temper in check and roll with things when they happen. This carries over into my personal life, too, so I think that's a good thing. Being mild-mannered has its advantages.

However, there are times when mild-manneredness just doesn't cut it. Today was one of those days. In my own defense, I think I was at least partially justified.

I was shopping at the local Target store with my daughter. We shop at Target A LOT. We know the pharmacists on a first-name basis, see the same friendly cashiers over and over again (the store has a low turnover rate from what I can tell) and have never been disappointed with the service. Until today.

I was waiting at Guest Services to make a payment on my bill and my daughter was sitting in the cart. She and I were talking back and forth, playing a little bit, while I waited for the gentleman in front of me to finish with the young girl at the Guest Services Desk. When he finished, two young women came up and walked right in front of me, straight up to the counter. I realized they weren't customers--from what I could make out, one of them was a store employee and she was coming in to check her schedule and the other one seemed to be a friend tagging along. Okay, fine. I can deal with that.

But here's where things went seriously wrong. The girl working at the counter opened the book with the schedule and started ranting about how someone was supposed to come relieve her a half hour earlier so she could go home. I was still okay with that. I didn't want to hear it, but whatever. I was still waiting in line. She CONTINUED to rant for the next five minutes, complaining to these two young girls while I stood there waiting. Then she said, "Somebody needs to get their a** over here so I can go home."

I shot her a look. I can forgive a slip up in language, but 1.) You're working at the Guest Services desk and there's a guest (me) waiting in line. 2.) You've already kept me waiting while you ranted about your day. And 3.) I don't take too kindly to people using profanity in front of my daughter.

So, even after I shot her a look, she STILL kept complaining to these two girls, and after hearing "a**" come out of her mouth two more times, along with a few other choice words, I blurted out, "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME."

I stormed over to the checkout lines and went up to the first cashier I saw. I was really upset and talking loud enough that people from two lanes over were looking at me. I told the cashier that I really just wanted to make a payment on my account and explained what happened at Guest Services. She was so sweet and explained that they can't process account payments at the registers, but lo and behold, the manager was walking by and the cashier flagged her down and explained what happened. The manager took my payment and personally processed it at Guest Services--where the Guest Services worker was STILL chatting with her friends.

I talked to the cashier for a few minutes, thanking her for her kindness and apologizing for getting loud. I told her it obviously wasn't her fault, I was just frustrated. It wasn't about waiting for my turn--I'm very good at waiting. I just did not appreciate an employee intentionally keeping me waiting and using profanity in front of my daughter. She laughed and said, "If it had been me, I probably would have started screaming at her!"

I then spoke with the manager, who was equally kind and very apologetic. I explained to her, too, that it wasn't about the waiting. I didn't appreciate the way I was treated, but I'm a big girl; what had me most upset was the profanity. She actually walked with me for a minute to see if there was anything else she could help me with, and we parted ways on very friendly terms.

As for the girl working in Guest Services? Someone finally came and relieved her so she could go home and she saw me on her way out. I actually laughed out loud when she had the nerve to shoot me a dirty look.

I don't know if it's immaturity or a lack of basic common sense, but I could not understand how in the world this girl could purposely keep me waiting, use profanity not once, but multiple times only six feet from where my daughter and I were standing, and then behave in a manner that made it seem like it was my fault.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I never acted like that when I was younger. That being said...it's official. I'm turning into my father.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

hahaha, no, if you were turning into Dad, you would have called that girl's mother, school principal, and gotten her driver's license revoked.

Acting like Dad...FTW!

Charlene said...

Well it does not surprise me...bad manners seem's to be on the rise these days. So sorry you had to endure it. But you handled it pretty well considering.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

if you're turning into your dad then so am I..nothing ticks me off more then the use of language infront of my children (even though I will have the slip of the tongue more then once on any given day--for 95% of the time, it's uttered quietly..shame on them---
if she's crabby now, I shudder to think of how she'll manage the Christmas crunch---if there is one this year.

I'd have done the same thing..so don't worry. :)
E~

Cheryl said...

Immaturity and lack of common sense and no consequences for her actions. That's how I see the problem. I would have spoken up right away. I'll stand quietly in line, but not tolerate this. I've been known to tell a cashier that she/he didn't greet me, look me in the face or say thank-you. Watch out when Cheryl's in line.