Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Imagination of a Three-Year-Old

I was sitting in the pediatrician's office with my daughter today--she's been sick for almost a week and had a rough night with wheezing--when she started talking about toilet paper. I don't know why she started talking about toilet paper, but she did.

Anyway, she went on to say that toilet paper lives in the cabinet. And because paper towels are kind of like paper, they should also live in the cabinet. Made sense. So I asked her what else lives in the cabinet. "Tissues!" she squeals. "Tissues live in the cabinet, too!"

So she started telling me a story about toilet paper, paper towels and tissues and their little houses in the cabinet. The t.p., paper towels and tissues all live together in the cabinet, but they're sort of like next-door neighbors. The paper towel's house is made out of straw, the tissue's house is made out of sticks and the t.p.'s house is made out of bricks. (Can you see where this is coming from?) The story rest of the story went something like this and I'm NOT making this up...

One day, there was a mommy who had very dirty hands, so she washed them and used soap and sang the "Washa, Washa, Washa" song. Then she needed to dry her hands, so her hands huffed and puffed and blew down the paper towels. Her hands were dry, but the paper towels had to move into a new house in another cabinet.

Then there was a little girl who didn't feel good, and she kept huffing and puffing and saying, "AAAAHHHH-CHOOOOO!" A lot of boogies came out and knocked down the tissues. It was okay, though, the boogies could live with the tissues in their new house.

Then there was a daddy who had very loud toots. That daddy would huff and puff and toot very hard. He tried to knock down the toilet papers house but the toots weren't strong enough. Then he had a stinky toot. He knocked down the toilet paper and broke his pants. So he made new pants out of some more toilet paper.

The End.

I was laughing so hard that I had tears rolling down my face. Thank goodness I was able to pull myself together before the doctor came into the exam room. Turns out the kiddo has some bronchial nastiness going on and is a bit dehydrated. The doc also checked her hemoglobin levels, which were in the normal range, but just barely. She'll be home for the rest of the week, which she's very excited about. I promised her we would lay on the couch together after her nap and watch Hello Kitty Becomes a Princess. It should be a pretty low-key afternoon.

And I can't wait to tell my husband about our little one's story-telling skills!

2 comments:

Life In Progress said...

That is so cute! She and my oldest would be good buddies. Mine is quite the storyteller too - cracks us up.

Cheryl said...

What an imagination! You've got a little storyteller there. I hope she's better soon. Enjoy your week together.