Sunday, October 05, 2008

Five Things in Five Days: Health Makeover Edition

When I first hatched the idea of doing "Five Things in Five Days" to better myself, my first goal was to focus on the mommy aspect. I came up with a plan, a short list of things that I could work on in less than a week, that would hopefully add up to some big changes in the grand scheme of things. From my original list, the only thing I've struggled with a little bit is the 30 minutes of activity with my daughter each night that I'm not working at my second job. Truth be told, sometimes I am just way too tired. We do still get some physical activity--kicking around a soccer ball, playing tag, playing catch, dancing, etc.--but sometimes it's only about 15 minutes or so. By the time I get home, get dinner on the table and take care of the odds and ends that require taking care of, we get short on time. For the most part, though, we're doing pretty good.

Anyway, this week I've come up with a new list of things to work on for the benefit of my health. I don't have high blood pressure, but my last few readings have been a little higher than usual. I attribute much of this to the stress in my life, but I'm also keenly aware of the fact that I'm not caring for my health the way I should. This is problematic for the main reason that I have an on-going sinus arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat/palpitations) and not taking care of myself could lead to more serious issues down the road.

So, here's my Five-in-Five list...

1. I will make a point of eating three salads this week. I like veggies, but I usually find salad to be kind of boring. I've been poking around on the internet today looking for some ways to jazz up my salad. I think if I throw in some chicken or other protein, it could be a satisfying meal.

2. I will do my best to get to bed fifteen minutes earlier in the evening and set my alarm for fifteen minutes earlier in the morning. I need to add some simple strength training to my workout and that fifteen minutes could be valuable.

3. I will remember to take a vitamin each day.

4. When I begin to feel stress building inside of me, I will pause in whatever it is that I'm doing and do some Pilates-style breathing.

5. I will tell my husband what's been bothering me for the past few weeks. (Then I'll blog about it!)

Right now, I have a bunch of laundry to fold and papers to grade. Neither one is particularly appealing at the moment, but it all has to get done. Then I have to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. Anybody up for a salad?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love how organized you are. Breaking things down to do-able steps is the key. Good luck with your plan.