Sunday, September 28, 2008

Unexplained Sightings in the Midwest

There are some things in life that simply defy explanation. I saw two very disturbing things today, both of which nearly caused me to rear end the driver in front of me. Now bear in mind that I am a cautious driver, not easily distracted by other things on the road.

Today was very, very different. It may as well have started out with a headline that screamed: "UFO Sightings in Chicago". Never mind the fact that I was actually in Naperville when these two incidents occurred.

Incident number one...

You know those cute little safety backpack-type items that very young children wear? They're usually in the shape of a fuzzy animal, and the long tail is actually a "leash" of sorts that the parent can hang onto, in order to keep the child from wandering away. I don't use one, but there are all kinds of variations. Here's one for example:Anyway, I'm not really an advocate of them, but some parents like them and that's fine. What's strange is that I saw several adults wearing them. Let me clarify...I saw a trail of OLDER adults wearing them. As in, white-haired adults. They were leaving a restaurant, laughing and chatting...and hanging onto the tails of each others' backpacks, marching toward their cars.

I did a double take and almost rear-ended the car in front of me. No worries, though, because the person in front of me was also doing a double take and almost rear-ended the car in front of her. Fortunately, no accidents, but a very, very strange to thing to see.

Okay, now for crazy sighting number two.

Just a few minutes after seeing the white-haired trail of leashed backpack wearers, a man zipped past me on a motorcycle. He was wearing a creepy gray and red striped sweater, a la Freddy Krueger. I didn't see his face (nor did I want to, because I was afraid it would look like a stretched out pepperoni pizza, just like Freddy's face in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies), but at the next stoplight, he straddled his bike with his feet on the ground and arched himself backward like he was stretching, and I saw something that looked like this...It's a freakin' Freddy Krueger glove belt buckle! These things are real, people! Anyway, when the light turned green, I was so freaked out that I hit the gas in an effort to get far away from the Freddy Wannabe and almost bumped the car in front of mine.

Whew! I think I'm going to stay home for the rest of today. These strange sightings have made me nervous. And now I have a strange urge to decorate for Halloween.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have the "leash". But my anti-hearness husband threw away the tail part so all I have now is a monkey back pack to chase.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Maybe the backpacks are a new version of the red hat society middle class? :) Hmm,..too bad you were sooooooo close to me today!! :)

The freddy well, that's just plain freaky!!!