Sunday, September 07, 2008

Proof in the Pictures

Last weekend, we took a short trip (okay, it was kind of a long drive with a three year old) down to Arthur, Illinois for the Arthur Cheese Festival. I had intended to post a few pictures sooner, but the week got a little out of hand. Anyway, my husband was there for the cheese, the kiddo was there for the fun stuff (including a super cute Elmo balloon person), and I was there to take in the Amish surroundings. I had to restrain myself when it came to taking pictures, because the Amish don't believe in any graven images, which means no photos of them. It was hard, but I respected it.

I did, however, want to point out that they are just like everyone else in a lot of ways. Case in point, when things break down and they can't afford something brand new...


Now, just in case you can't clearly see the sign...here it is a bit closer.


I also posted this over at the blog I share with my sisters, too, so if you've peeked over there before today and already saw these, sorry for the repeat!

4 comments:

jAMiE said...

We have an Amish community near to where i live and it's always enjoyable to visit there and see them out and about.

Cheryl said...

Interesting. I imagine a non-Amish person runs the phone/website?

Cheryl said...

Interesting. I imagine a non-Amish person runs the phone/website?

CRUSTYBEEF said...

very cool--I'll have to look into that for a road trip next year---but would really have to leave the camera back home or I'd be tempted to sneak.

Honesty at my best hour with coffee in hand. :)

E