Monday, September 01, 2008

Prayers for Baby Alyssa

After much humor and reminiscing earlier today about the joys and pitfalls of labor and delivery, I received a heartbreaking e-mail from one of my girlfriends, who along with her husband, was eagerly anticipating the birth of their first child.

The e-mail, in paraphrase, was this:

It is with much sadness that we announce the passing of our baby daughter. She was born on Thursday, August 28th at 7:41am. She was 5 lbs., 3 oz., and 18 inches long. After an emergency c-section and tireless efforts of the dedicated doctors and nurses, our beautiful daughter passed away. Although she was only with us this brief time, our lives have been touched in a way that we never could have imagined.

I still can't quite believe any of this. I know my friend and her husband can't believe any of this...to pray for and anticipate the joy of new life, only to have it leave so suddenly. I'm stunned into silence, humbled and heartbroken by this experience that isn't even my own. Please pray for my friend and her husband. Pray especially for her, the mommy, who has to learn now how live her life with a hole in her heart, with empty arms that will no doubt ache to hold the child that had been planned for with such love...the mommy who will have nothing but a few short, beautiful memories to sustain her until she meets her child again.

"When my bones were being formed, carefully put together in my mother's womb, when I was growing there in secret, You knew that I was there--You saw me before I was born. My days in Your book were numbered, before any of them ever began." **Psalms

4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so sorry.

Baby Tunnel Exodus said...

Oh my. Words fail me. I've never been through that, but I know someone in the blogosphere that has. Send her to Bring The Rain at http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/
I hope they will find comfort there and in the Lord.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I have been where you stand Martha with my best friend this past June. She named her daughter Faith June and although she only lived for a short time after delivery (at 22weeks) she was the most beautiful angel I ever saw.

It still hurts to talk about it knowing what I know about my best friend..so I know how you feel.

I hope for your friend that she'll find peace someday and it won't stop her from trying again when her doctor gives her the okay.

my thoughts to you guys!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth

mamatutwo said...

So sorry to hear this. Her family is in my prayers tonight.