Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hero Status Confirmed?

Today, one of my co-workers stopped by office to go over a handful of work-related issues. After he finished, but before he left my office, he stopped and looked at me and said, "Martha, it just seems to me that you shouldn't even be here."

I was a bit taken aback and asked him what he meant.

"Well," he said, "it's not that you don't do a good job. You do. It's just that, well, I guess I just see you doing more. And it's not here."

I laughed. "You trying to push me out the door?"

He was serious. "No. I just don't think this is what you're meant to do. You're good at it. So good at it. Nobody else here could do your job. Nobody would want to do your job, believe me. We all think your job must suck, but it's a big help to all of us. I just think you'd be much happier if you were able to focus on being a wife and mother. When I come and talk to you about work, you're always so professional. But when someone asks you about your family, it's like your whole personality changes. You change. You. It's like you become human."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "People around here think I'm inhuman when I work? That's not cool, especially since I work in human services."

He roared. "No. You know what I mean. You're just softer when you talk about being a wife and mom. But when you're working, I don't know. It's like you're super human. Or crazy."

"I'd agree with the crazy part."

He left my office after that and I went to pick up my daughter. When I did, she barrelled into my arms, hugging and kissing me for all she was worth. Then she told me she loved me and that I'm her hero. I had to swallow over a huge lump in my throat. Super human or crazy--doesn't matter. I'm her hero.

At least until she's a teenager and I'm a big embarrassment, right?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Right. From someone who knows, although my daughter thinks I'm stupid. Not nice, huh?