Saturday, August 09, 2008

For Your Viewing Pleasure...

I've been busy with my camera.


Here are some pictures from my garden:


Come on now, be honest. It kind of looks like two creepy, green eyes staring at you, right? The picture itself turned out really well. No editing or anything. Just nice, vibrant color!


That tomato is taking forever to ripen. I think it's afraid of being eaten...

We had a busy day Friday. My husband and I took a rare day off from work and spent it out as a family. We opened the museum and closed the zoo. We hit the Museum of Science and Industry bright and early. The munchkin had a blast at the train display...

Isn't that size difference amazing? She wanted so badly to climb up on the train, but there are signs all over now that you have to stay off--bummer. I wanted to climb up, too.


Okay, I enjoyed the train display too. Look, I'm an engineer!

We had lunch after the train display and then went on a tour of the U-505 Submarine--the only German submarine in the United States! The historical value alone was amazing. I have to tell you, though, I got a really, really eerie feeling while walking around inside. No photography was allowed, so I can't show you anything from it, but it was...well, it was something else. If you're ever in Chicago, I highly recommend it. Here's a shot from the outside...



We checked out a lot of the displays, including the Idea Factory and the display of farm machinery. The munchkin went crazy over Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle. Words can't even begin to describe it. It's one of those things you have to see to appreciate. We ended our trip with a stroll down Yesterday's Main Street and a stop in Finnigan's Ice Cream Parlor. I'm sure I consumed a full day's worth of calories in the sundae I ate, but it was totally worth it.

Poor kiddo was exhausted...


Before she fell asleep, we gave her the choice of either heading home or stopping at Brookfield Zoo. She opted for the zoo, so off we went.

We got there around 3:30 and it was perfect because everyone else was leaving. It was like having the zoo all to ourselves! We wandered around--the weather was perfect, right around 78 degrees, sunny, but lots of shade from the trees. The little one was tired, so we toted her around in her wagon. We made our way to the lions, the elephants, giraffes, camels, zebras, tropic world, the ostriches...


What else? Oh wait...there was the bison.

Isn't he an ornery looking bugger? He was the biggest out of the four of them that were out, but had the sweetest eyes.

The munchkin and her daddy got wet in the elephant sprayer and they were just cracking up...


We stayed for dinner and poked around until the staff literally started to shoo us out. Rush hour was over by then, so it was a smooth ride home. After putting the little one down, I could barely keep my eyes open. Lots of walking, lots of fresh air, lots of relaxing...I crashed last night. AND my darling husband let me sleep until 9:30 this morning. I don't remember the last time I got that much sleep and I'm feeling good today!

So, that's what I've been up to. Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

1 comment:

jAMiE said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful day...good for you! And the munchkin did really look happy...can't beat that.

I love the pics..especially of those yellow flowers...they did look like weird eyes too, now that you mention it.

Hope you're enjoying this weekend too!