Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Friendly Conversations

One of my friends got engaged recently and I'm absolutely thrilled for her. She's had so many difficulties in her life, and I'm happy that she's met someone who loves her and accepts her just the way she is. Like many newly engaged women, she had that dreamy look all day today and she ended up asking me when I "knew" that Shawn was the one for me.

I shared a bunch of stories with her...like how he's just a nice person, what a great dad he is, how he changed our daughter's first "tar poop" diaper after she was born, how he goes out of his way to help people, things like that. I also shared how, back in 2006 when I had my tonsils removed and was half out of it when (grossness alert!) I threw up on our bed and all over myself after the anesthesia and pain medicine wore off, he didn't even flinch as he got me settled in a warm bath and changed the sheets and blankets. I told her how, even though we had really hit a rough patch in our marriage, I knew at that moment that we were going to be okay.

She laughed and pointed out that most of those moments happened after we were already married. I told her that was true, but it's easy for people to keep up an act early on in the dating relationship. When their real colors come out, that's how you can tell if you're meant to be together. Then I asked her what her defining moment was and she said...

"Well, the night before he proposed, we got lost on this deserted road after leaving the county fair and I really had to go to the bathroom. I told him I couldn't hold it, and if he didn't pull over, I was going to pee on myself. So, he stopped and walked around to my side of the car as I hovered in the grass. I yelled at him that he couldn't watch me. Next thing I knew, he was standing there with his hand over his eyes, leaning over and handing me a napkin to use as toilet paper. I realized then that he'd probably seen me at my worst, but there he was, still trying to take care of me."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I guess nobody ever said that "the moment" has to be romantic!

1 comment:

Jim Latchford said...

Two more words..."How True!"