Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Witching Hour

There is a period of time during my day that I hate. It's that time between when I leave work and the time to sit down for dinner. It's the time of day when I feel most out of control, most likely to lose my temper, most likely to have a meltdown or tantrum that would make my three-year-old proud.

I don't know how to really balance out being a full-time mom, a full-time wife, and a full-time employee outside of the house. I mean, I do a good job managing my schedule, but finding actual balance is terribly difficult. It's so hard to get out of work mode in the 15-20 minutes it takes to drive from my office to the daycare to get my daughter. I've usually got a lot on my mind, mentally sorting through what I need to accomplish the next day, while doing my best to be attentive to my daughter. I always ask her about her day, what happened, what she learned, etc. I love listening to her talk about things that are probably mundane to someone else, but a really big deal to her. Once we get home, I set her up with a light snack while I make dinner. So then I'm focusing on her and dinner, and then when my husband gets home, I'm trying to attend to his needs, too. After the munchkin's bedtime and all the regular evening chores, I squeeze in a workout and then that's it.

And I'm exhausted.

There are women all over the world who do this (and plenty more, I'm sure!) and always seem so put-together and organized. I wonder how they do it?

Ah well. I need to scoot and get my sorry behind in gear. Summer school started and I've got to organize my lecture notes for tomorrow. Ah well.

It'll probably be slow-posting this week, but hopefully by the weekend, I'll have something jazzy to write about. I'm going to head off to blog-land and catch up before I get busy with school work...

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I don't know how you manage as well as you do. You can't do it all. Does you husband do his share? You didn't mention that, just attending to his needs. When a woman works, and a man works, and they have a child, it seems like everyone needs to work as a team. That is, in an ideal world. I know. When I divorced people asked how I did it all. I told them I'd been doing it all, all along. I will say, he was good at cleaning, and I miss that.

Katie said...

Sounds to me you manage quite well. Everyone gets attention, all your priorities are in order, and you even manage to plan ahead. I think maybe you're just going so fast you don't realise how efficient you're actually being.