Friday, June 13, 2008

Sad and Silly Stuff

It's been slow posting for the past week. Things have been busier than usual--summer school just started, so I'm teaching two nights a week, plus there were some problems at work that were starting to get me down. Add to that a nasty bout of insomnia, and it makes for one crabby woman.



That being said, I'm telling myself that I'm just a little more emotional than usual, which is why I'm so bothered by the following:

I got a bad evaluation from one of my students.

I've probably gotten over two hundred evaluations that have been stellar and very complimentary, but this one bad one is really sticking out for me. It's not that I can't handle constructive criticism. I'm totally fine with that. It's that this evaluation was such a terrible personal attack--it actually hurt my feelings. And it hurt my feelings because whoever it was that spent an entire semester in my class never said a single word to me about any concerns. Nothing. Not once did anyone say there was a major problem with an assignment or there was trouble in keeping up with the lectures. I go out of way to make things more convenient for my students and it pays off in the long run. In fact, during the semester, all the students were very nice and told me that they appreciated my humor and honesty while teaching, that they liked the class format and appreciated that I could show them I was a human being--not an elite professor with all the answers. I won't go into what exactly was in the evaluation--it's enough to say that it was unkind and intentionally cruel and it's still bugging me a day after I read it.

I really don't understand people who get pleasure out of hurting others and that's what this felt like. So, today I'm going to mope about it, then be back to my old self by tomorrow.

Oh, my daughter told me a joke yesterday...

Her: Knock knock.

Me: Who's there?

Her: Ummmmm. Me.

Me: Me who?

Her: Me. It's me. Your little girl.

Me: Oh! That's cute!

Her: Mommy, what is that under there?

Me: Under where?

Her: You just said "underwear!"

And then she dissolved in a fit of giggles.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

It's not you, it's the stupid student. I really believe that. Put that memory in a compartment, and say good-bye. You are a great teacher

Thank goodness for silly!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I am sorry Martha :( That sucks.

I know you know this, but, you can't please everyone...and you can't let the turkeys get you down.

Is that enough cliches for you?

Because if it is not, the sun'll come out...tomorrow...

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Hey - go read this

http://www.internetcafedevotions.com/2008/06/june-17-2008.html

it was written for you
:)