Monday, May 05, 2008

Paging Dr. Mommy

I think I really traumatized my daughter last night. I'm still reeling. Of course, for that to make sense, you probably need to know what happened.

The "Reader's Digest" version is this: Rough wood inside a dresser drawer + Two little hands attached to my sweet (almost) three-year-old = Approximately two dozen splinters.

She shrieked and cried for a minute, then said, "Mommy, fix these boo-boos."

I did my best. Thank God most of the splinters barely pierced the skin and I was able to grasp them with my fingernails and just pull them out. She was fine with that. There were around eight that required more serious care. So...out came the razor-tip tweezers.

Bless her little heart, she sat perfectly still, watching intently as I poked around and pulled out a few. However, when I got to the two major ones--and I mean MAJOR, like buried deep in the center of her palms--she lost it. Clamped her fists shut, screamed, cried, gagged, cried some more, threw up because she was crying so hard. Oh, it was so awful. My husband and I literally had to hold her down, her crying and sweating all the while. These two little pieces of wood just refused to budge. We debated taking her to the emergency room. I didn't really want to, knowing full well the ER doctor would have no choice but to strap her down and immobilize her arms. I really didn't want to do that to her. But I also knew we couldn't leave the wood in her hands, festering, and risk an infection.

Plan B? Yes, I have a Plan B for just about everything. I resorted to a homemade remedy that I haven't used in years. My husband went and asked our neighbors for a piece of white bread (because we only eat wheat, and for the remedy to work, it has to be white bread), brought it home and I set about making a paste by mixing it with some milk. I plopped a piece of the milk-soaked bread into the center of each of her palms, put band-aids over them, then sealed them with waterproof tape and tucked her into bed. I've never done this on a kid, only myself, so I didn't know how long to leave it on for...we left it on for about four hours. She was asleep, and we took the bandages off, wiped down her hands with warm water, then slathered them in Bacitracin and re-bandaged them.

Today, one of the pieces of wood is out and the other is almost out. Score one for homemade remedies! I don't know why it works, I just know it does. Something about the combination of the bread and milk (maybe the yeast and lactic acid??) softens the skin and draws out any infection. I found out years ago that it will also draw out splinters. I don't know if that's exactly right--maybe it just softens the skin enough so that the wood pokes through and is easily removable--all I know is that this little homemade remedy saved us a trip to the ER and probably an $800 bill.

Oh, the part about her being traumatized? This morning when she woke up, she looked right at me and said, "You can't ever touch my hands ever again. Okay?"

Then at dinner, she pipes up with, "It's not nice for you to hurt my hands."

At bedtime, "I rock with daddy tonight. You hurt my hands."

*Sigh* She'll get over it eventually, right?

5 comments:

Big Momma Pimpalishisness said...

Haha, she sure sounds like she knows how to make someone feel bad. It's good practice for when she has to manipulate a boyfriend in the future :)

annie said...

Ouch, poor thing! It's hard when they think we are hurting them. I'll have to remember the remedy though!

mamatutwo said...

Oh, I'm sorry for the whole family!!! How traumatic for you, too! Yep, give her a couple of days, some lovin' from Mom, and she'll be fine. I know the sting, though!

Cheryl said...

Awwww. You brought tears to my eyes! Your daughter will forgive you and she'll forget. Still, to have her say those things to you :( Heartbreaking.

Katie said...

I have to copy this post to my harddrive to remember what to do. Good going mom! You may not get props from Munchkin, but you get props from me! :)