Saturday, May 03, 2008

It's Ma-a-a-a-y-y-y-y!

I wrote this post at the end of March, trying to figure out why in the heck I kept hearing this voice in my head not to fill out my desk calendar at work past the month of May. Even now, I can't flip the page. Anything for the month of June is contained in a bunch of scribbles on the bottom of the "May" page.

Yesterday, something very (VERY) strange happened.

Right at the end of the workday, my boss called me into her office to discuss some of my responsibilities, possibly adding a few more, and even negotiating a small raise. I told her I'd think about it over the weekend and get back to her Monday. Wow, I thought. This must be why I felt like I couldn't go past May. I can't very well schedule things in advance if my job duties are going to be changing.

Makes sense, right?

Not quite.

I got home, and on the answering machine is a message from my supervisor at the University where I teach part time in the graduate program. She wants to discuss the possibility of "a future employment opportunity beginning in the Fall." My heart paused for a minute. Could I be hearing this right? Really?

I called her back and we had a nice chat. The job isn't full-time--it's sort of like expanding on what I'm currently doing, plus adding a few meetings and other miscellaneous things. And adding more pay. It's only part-time and the pay isn't enough for me to leave my full-time job. She said that right away, but also said if I'd consider the job, she'd do everything she could to work around my schedule...including just working from home outside of when I'm teaching and attending two meetings a month. I have to let her know by Tuesday. I don't know if I can do it, because for the department meetings, I'd have to arrange my schedule at my full-time job, and I don't know how well that would go over. Plus, this job is only temporary, required for one school year. But it could be a huge stepping stone if I decide I want to move my career entirely into education.

In the middle of all of this--well, not in the middle, but really at the very top of the list--is my family. I do NOT want to sacrifice time with them. And yet the money is so tempting. We've been steadily digging ourselves out of a financial hole we got into because of some heavy-duty medical expenses and the thought of working like crazy for a year to make enough to pay it off seems so fantastic--but not at the expense of my daughter or husband.

I am so torn and I have less than 48 hours to come to a decision. I figure even if I turn both down, I have absolutely nothing to lose. Literally. Nothing will change for either job. If I negotiate one (or even both), I'm looking at a lot of changes in a short amount of time. And looking at the freedom that comes with no longer having any debt (except for the house, car and student loans).

I'm giving myself a headache, so I'm going to try not to think about it for a few hours. When it rains, it pours, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like good "rain" to me. Congratulations (on whatever you decide).