Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Art and Zen of a Birthday Cake

I snuck a quick break from my daughter's party to upload photos of the cake I made so it would be quick for me to post later. It was my first time making a more "complicated" cake, and other than a few glitches with the decorating, it wasn't too bad! I started out with a basic cake recipe and used a Wilton sheet cake pan. Here's what it looked like after it was done baking. Those little colors are candy melts baked into the cake.



I iced the whole thing with basic buttercream icing, tinted pink. While doing that, the other part of the cake was baking. I used the Wilton sports ball pan and made that part chocolate. And for the record, I don't work for Wilton. They just have really (REALLY!) good baking supplies. Anyway, I used a round tip for the lettering, outlining the stars, and adding the stitching on the baseball, then a star tip to pipe the icing on the half-baseball. I used the zig-zag tip to add the number three.

I used the zig-zag tip again to pipe white icing along the borders and finished off with a generous sprinkle of candy stars. It was a cute little cake for my cute little girl.

Someone at the party asked if it wouldn't have made more sense to order the cake from a bakery. Maybe. I mean, it was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun. And other than the expense of the pans, which I probably would have bought at some point anyway, it only cost me about sixteen dollars to make it. I don't think I could have gotten a sheet cake at a bakery for sixteen dollars.

It was a fun day, but I'm wiped out. My poor hubby got hurt at work yesterday (he was breaking up a fight when a student's emotions sort of ran overboard and my husband took the brunt of it to protect the other student) and has a badly bruised eye socket and a sprained back. He was a trooper today, but he's in a lot of pain. The pain medicine made him really groggy and I kept waking him up because I want him to be able to sleep tonight. I'm getting ready to give the munchkin a bath and tuck her into bed--I think my husband and I will be close behind. I'm betting all of us are asleep by 8:30 tonight!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Great skills with the cake decorating. Did you teach yourself to use the tips, or did you take a course? Was the party a success? Rest up...thank goodness for 2 day weekends.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

beautiful cake, even with your directions I could never do it!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, that's awful! I hope he heals soon and isn't in too much pain today!!

Birthday party done, full night sleep, and hopefully some quiet time for the two of you as your daughter plays with her gifts! :)

Have a nice sunday,
Elizabeth

Margaret said...

It was a beautiful party and that cake was DELICIOUS!

Katie said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your Munchkin!

Catherine said...

Margie told me about the cake --LOVE the pictures! Why don't you ever back me anything when I come home? ;-)