Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Vacation Photos

I love Washington, D.C. There's so much neat stuff to see--so much, that I ran out of room on the memory card in my camera. I didn't have enough space to get any pictures of the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, but I have to say that I don't think pictures could do it justice anyway. I forgot what the building is in the picture on the right--my sister told me, but I was too busy admiring it. Sorry I didn't pay closer attention. Isn't is gorgeous?




Ah, The Capitol Building. It's majestic. The lighting is this picture is kind of washed out. My camera is misbehaving, but the sunshine was kind of hazy, too. Anyway, we didn't go into the building--I just admired it from afar. I couldn't believe the number of people swarming toward it or the amount of traffic. My sister and I relied entirely on the Metro, which is much more efficient than the CTA.





The next two are from the World War II Memorial. I was so moved by it--it's a beautiful tribute to the men and women who so proudly served our country during that era. It made me miss my Grandpa, too. He fought in the Pacific during the war. Ironically enough, I didn't know that until my sister told me. It was something that was never discussed, but apparently, my Grandma mentioned it once. Just once. And dear old Grandpa isn't here to answer the hundreds of questions I have running through my head.
















These are two shots of the same statue near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, also known as "The Wall."
















This is a shot of "The Wall." I'm always amazed at the number of people who flock to this memorial. There are so many of them, searching for names of lost loved ones. In fact, my sister and I overheard a man who was scanning through one of the large books and he said quietly, "Well, I guess he made it." Apparently, whoever he was looking for wasn't listed, which he hoped meant he made it home. I got choked up at that point. I know that but for the grace of God, my own father's name could have been on that wall--and I wouldn't be here.




Another statue shot. This memorial statue haunts me. I've seen it a few times and I still get chills. This time around, I also got angry, because there was a tour group and there were kids climbing inside the chains that go around the memorial. One kid was in there with his father. I thought it was rude and disrespectful. I don't get that. I just don't. This is a place to honor those who served this country and people literally walk all over it.



This is from the Korean War Memorial. I didn't see this the last time I was there nine years ago. This memorial is haunting. The wall next to it is a smattering of images carved in granite. From a distance, it look like smudges of paint, but as I got closer, I could see the pictures in the wall. The statues are sort of out of proportion, but the when you look at them head on, they look amazing. I will say that it's very eerie. The air around this memorial seems to reverberate with unseen force--perhaps the souls of lost men.



Last shot--pretty neat, huh? Except the guy standing down at the end refused to move. Ah well.

2 comments:

mamatutwo said...

Wow! I had never even seen a picture of the WWII Memorial. Thanks for the sneak peek! My dad, a vet, just got back. Check out what happened when he got back on my blog!

Margaret said...

I'm glad you had a good time. The FDR memorial was one of my favorites, too. When I saw it, I wished that every group of eighth grade students in this country could go to see it in person. If really looked at, one doesn't walk away from that untouched!

Happy May!