Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Threes

Yes, threes. I've always been told that bad things happen in threes. I grew up thinking it was just superstition, sort of like an old wives tale, but after today, I'm not so sure.

On Good Friday, I whacked my wrist while doing laundry and ended up having to go the the emergency room. At 2am on Easter Sunday, my husband and I brought our daughter to the ER because of a bad case of croup.

Today...I ended up back in the ER. It started a few days ago when I felt some early symptoms of a bladder infection. My doctor didn't want to wait to treat it, so he did send me for labwork, but told me he was phoning in an antibiotic that he wanted me to start taking the same day. That was yesterday afternoon.

Last night, I took the first dose of the antibiotic. It's a sulfa-based antibiotic I've taken many (many, many) times in the past. This time, though, my body went haywire. About a half hour after I took it, I started swelling up and itching in a place where a woman doesn't want swelling and itching. I sat down in a cold bathtub while my husband called the pharmacist, only to find out that I was having a classic, textbook allergic reaction to the medication. She suggested taking some Benadryl and calling my doctor. That's what I did and my doctor said to stop the antibiotic (duh), continue the Benadryl on the label's dosing schedule, and to go to the ER if I started having any other symptoms.

The "other symptoms" kicked in early this morning in what's called a "secondary allergic reaction". My face was swollen to twice its normal size, bright red, and my eyes were almost swollen shut, with gunk pouring out of them. Then my heart started racing (about 137 beats a minute, when my normal resting pulse is between 70-80 beats) and I started having trouble breathing. That really scared me and I started to cry. Bad idea, because the crying made my heart beat even faster, which made me cry harder--vicious circle. My husband packed me in the car and drove to our trusted ER...along the way, I was able to mumble out through my purple, swollen mouth that my normally thin lips were rivaling Angelina Jolie's full pout. It looked like I belonged on a TV show called "Collagen Injections Gone Wrong." Gotta have humor, even in bad situations, right?

I got great treatment at the ER--complete with an IV where the nurse pumped me full of Benadryl, steroids and Pepcid. Pepcid? Yeah, Pepcid. I thought it was only for heartburn, but the prescription strength that's administered in an IV fusion is a strong line of defense in halting an allergic reaction. I learn something new every day, even when I'm not in school!

I was home just after 10am. I was kind of a space-case because of all the meds, but much better at least. My hubby ran out and got all my prescriptions, then came home and sat with me until I could settle down and go to sleep. And did I sleep! I got more sleep during my afternoon nap than I do in an average night. Even so, I'm wiped out, so after my next dose of steroids, I'm going to crawl into bed. Going to work tomorrow is questionable...I guess I'll see how I feel in the morning, but I think right now, it's not looking good.

Ah well. More nonsense later...

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

No 4's, please!'
What a horrible experience Martha. I'm so glad it's over and hope the infection is on the wane too. Now stop it.

Marni said...

My goodness --

I'm so glad you are on the mend and feeling better. What a scary experience!!!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Dang, girl!

Dang, girl!

and one more time -

Dang, girl!

I sure hope you had a better Thursday!

:(

Prayers for a really, really good weekend.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

that is just dreadful! I'm glad to know things have improved for you!!

Have a great Sunday today, okay?
I loved your post on the 6th about beating the blues...I know what you're going through, I've been there a few times, it's not fun. :(

Always,
Elizabeth