Friday, April 11, 2008

Sharing the Pain

I used my break at work to go put gas in my car and write this post.

Last year, my household budget for gas exceeded the household budget for food. That was upsetting and I wrote a scathing editorial about it for the local paper. My husband and I are careful with our pennies and dollars--thus, we're extremely careful with how much we drive. The past few weeks, I've just been putting just enough in the tank to get by, probably around $15-25 per week. Today, I went all out and filled up after my low fuel light came on.

Gulp.

It cost $49.51. I have never, ever spent that much on a tank of gas. Yeah...basic unleaded gas is $3.43 per gallon here. I remember crying when I went back to work after my daughter was born because gas prices hit $2.00 per gallon. That was almost three years ago. Sad. And scary. My husband currently spends about $50.00 per week on gas, too. And we drive economical, gas sipping cars!

The person at the pump behind me had a total of $79.82. I can't even imagine that! Almost $80 for gas? For a giant SUV? That's crazy. Of course, it appeared that the young man could afford it, so that's good for him, but still...I could get an entire week's worth of groceries for $80! Heck, with that much money, I could get a week's worth of groceries and probably even a few extras.

What a wild world we live in, eh?

5 comments:

Katie said...

Try $80 a week for an ugly minivan ... I miss my itty-bitty WV Cabrio!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

My girlfriend and I were just discussing this tonight at dinner, how the days of $2 gas will never ever return. And how much of that has to do with China, land of pollution and dead baby girls and forced abortion and evil against Tibet and, oh yeah, the OLYMPICS. ???

$60 for my minivan, because here is Texas the gas is a little cheaper. Every once in a while it will go below $3 and we do the happy dance. Typically it hovers around $3.

I remember back during the first Gulf War when gas got down to .90 a gallon. Oh, what a granny I am.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

PS - the other gallon price that freaks me out - MILK. A gallon of milk costs more than a gallon of gas!!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

MIlk and Gas awful!! ANd bike prices will go up now because people are getting sick of driving..
it's crazy..and quite scary too!!

Always,
Elizabeth

Margaret said...

Gas is $3.67 for regular over here by my house. But here is something else that's scary:

In February, I noticed that the juice I buy went up in price from $2.99 to $3.99. Yesterday, I went to pick up a few things and I was going to grab an extra apple juice since I was at the store. But the new price is now $4.94. Nearly a $2 increase in less than four month's time.

Watch out.