Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Singing the Blues

Don't worry--I'm not really going to sing. I'm a terrible singer.

I've been feeling cranky all day today. I couldn't sleep last night. Not sleeping is nothing new--it's been several years since I actually got a full night's sleep. Last night though, my mind was racing more than usual.

One of my friends just found out she has two brain tumors. This is a woman I've gotten to know over the past two years, who is just kind and nice...and I don't understand why such terrible things happen to such good people. I think about Jamie and Heather, whose blogs I have been reading for a while, and how they have gone through so much and how hard they fight. It's going to be hard for my friend--but she's accepting this with grace and dignity. Fear too, of course, but she's keeping a positive attitude.

Then, just this afternoon, I found out that a friend of mine from college and grad school is pregnant. I'm so excited for her and her husband. I felt a twinge of envy--a little bit (or a lot bit) of baby itch, I suppose. Hopefully, that feeling will pass. She's going to be a wonderful mother. It's funny how as my friends have babies, they look to me as some kind of authority on the subject since I was the first woman in my circle of friends to become a mom, and my husband was the first guy in his circle of friends to become a dad. They think we're experts! Truthfully, we're just muddling through. I guess people figure it out as they go along. It's the only time in my life I've really allowed myself to fly by the seat of my pants, and I'm pretty okay with that.

On top of that, the planned Easter gathering at my house Saturday is turning into a headache. It was all set, things were good, and then certain *someones* just had to go and start messing things up. *sigh* I think I'm going to take a hot shower and go to bed. I'm emotionally worn out. I have faith that tomorrow will be a good day.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Was it a better day? I hope so.

Katie said...

Go on. Have another baby. I bet Munchkin wants a baby brother or sister. How can you say no to her? :)