Monday, March 03, 2008

Blogging Etiquette

I'm having a slight blogging problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

So, there's a blog that I read regularly that I've always enjoyed until recently. There were 2 posts, relatively close to each other, that I found to be troublesome and offensive. Certainly people are entitled to their thoughts and beliefs, and to blog about them as they see fit. Goodness knows I do. But what if it's something that I really disagree with? That I'm really, really opposed to? In both cases, I read the posts, then went on my way because I was pretty much stunned into silence. I try hard to subscribe to the whole, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all" theory. The thing is, I'm really troubled by what I read and it took a lot for me NOT to leave a comment. If I suddenly stop reading/commenting, does that breach some kind of blogging etiquette? Or should I let the person know (nicely, of course) that due to a difference of opinions and my very strong feelings on the subject matter, I won't be coming back? Or in this whole wide, blogging world, is it likely the person won't notice?

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hmmm. This is a tough one. Does she regularly comment on your blog? Do you ever e-mail? You might want to just quietly walk away.

Martha said...

Some comments, some e-mails...what a tangled web!

Margaret said...

Martha, Internet angst is not worth anyone's time and energy. Many times people also confuse blogs with forums. If what you read isn't what you like, there's no rule that says you have to go back and let the person know you won't be commenting anymore. Readers drift away from blogs all the time. There have been about four in the past year that I used to read regularly that I just decided didn't really interest me--or they annoyed me. Haven't gone back since. So, worry not my dear.

Jim Latchford said...

Is it me? Was it something I said? Oh dear...no more musings about menfolk shopping at Victoia's Secret...I promise.

Big Momma Pimpalishisness said...

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless you guys were really good internet friends. I'm assuming it's not me because I NEVER say anything offensive on my blog :P