Sunday, February 03, 2008

Ghostly Encounters

Do you believe in ghosts? If you do, good. If you don't, please don't make fun of me for the following...

Every now and then, someone will ask me if I believe in ghosts. I do.

I believe.

Maybe that's a little bit of goofiness, but I do believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, all of the above, whatever you want to call them. My motto is, "I can't see you, but I know you're there."

When people find out I believe in ghosts, they inevitably ask if I'm afraid of cemeteries, of dead people, of dying. Not really. I mean, I'm not afraid of going into a cemetery. It's silly to be afraid of dead people. I think once a soul leaves a body, it ceases to be a person, and cemeteries are full of precious remains, not full of dead people. More often than not, when I'm in a cemetery, I just feel an overwhelming sense of sadness, because it represents so many lives lost. Maybe not lost, but ended. I maintain that death is a natural and expected outcome of this process called life; no matter what road people take--whether it's a straight and narrow path, or a road full of bumps, potholes and detours--we all end up in the same place. We all end up at the end of the road. Some are far too young when the path ends. Others are waiting patiently to get there. Others are heading there, full-speed ahead.

But back to the ghost thing. When my husband and I decided to buy a house, he wanted to buy an old, Civil War-era house and rehab it. I told him it would be too expensive and there was too much of a chance of it being haunted. I wanted to either buy something newer or build from the ground up. We opted to build, and when we moved in, I felt like there was no chance of any hauntings.

Wrong. Very wrong.

There is something in my house. I don't feel threatened or anything--I don't really believe that a "haunting" (if that's what you want to call it) is always bad. I think often times, ghosts/spirits/souls are hanging around because of unfinished business, or they don't realize they were supposed to move on. Anyway, I'm convinced there is an invisible child in this house. I've felt that way from the time we moved in. It wasn't anything I could put my finger on. Just a sense of something or someone in the shadows. That feeling got stronger when my daughter was a baby and she would be laying on the changing table or in my arms and sort of look past me, point and smile. Once she learned the word "baby", she would point, smile and say "baby." Freaky, huh?

Her toys randomly move around and whoever this anonymous child is, he or she absolutely loves the talking puzzles. There's nothing like waking up at 3am and hearing a cartoon monkey making noises in the living room. The first time it happened, my husband tried to convince me it was just the batteries getting low and that's why it was talking on its own.

But then it started happening with ALL of the talking puzzles. Then it was her Winnie-the-Pooh potty that has a little handle, and when you "flush" it says, "All done! Nice job!" Nobody's using that at 9pm. Or 4am. There was the Tickle Me Elmo, the Wiggles guitar, the musical books...then there was the time the PlayStation turned on by itself. Weird stuff. My friends joke that I have a funny electro-magnetic field around me and that's what causes it--the same thing that always sets off metal detectors in court houses and airports and makes the store scanner thingies at the door start blaring when I walk IN. Maybe it is me.

Or maybe, just maybe, there's a lost child having a good old time with my daughter's toys. Or maybe it's my guardian angel enjoying some down time. I don't know what it is, but it's here, and it's welcome in my home.

Of course, it would be MORE welcome if it finished the Power Point presentation I have to have ready for work tomorrow morning. *sigh* I guess I better get working on that now.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I think you're probably one of the only people that veiw "ghosts" like I do. When my son looks up and giggles or points and laughs at a dark corner, I always think he's enjoying something (someone??) that's enjoying him as well. It (??) obviously means no harm and just likes Ethan's company.
Now when the time somes that Ethan screams and runs away from it, THEN I'll get scared! :)

Marni said...

I believe in them 110%... and I believe I am being haunted by one of my best friends. I've posted about him before...

I'm obsessed with the thought of ghosts.

Margaret said...

Martha, you do have a funky electro-magnetic field around you. I have it too, and sometimes I wonder if it isn't part of that "Force" dad is always talking about!

As for your "ghosts, spirits, angels," my rule is: feel free to visit, but don't let me SEE or FEEL anything UNLESS I REQUEST IT (which is not at all likely to ever happen). I had one expreience that still makes my neck tingle when I recall it, so I try not to think of it at all...

Catherine said...

Please invite a priest over again anyhow. I know it hasn't helped at ALL with mom and dad's house, but you never know.

(Whenever I'm home, I still hear the train, but the piano music has been quiet for a while).

Jim Latchford said...

The unexplained is always unnerving. We humans like to believe that we are in charge of our surroundings and our destinies, but fate often dictates otherwise. Are their "spirits' which occupy the corners of our existence and knock occasionally at our conscience? I am convinced that the answer is most likely yes...and I believe that they are most often attracted by those who are more pure and genuine in spirit. And I think the ability to recognize their existence and presence is more akin to a gift than a curse. Perhaps you have that gift and they merely wish to be close to you. I wouldn't be to concerned. Your heart will protect you and guide their behavior to respect your aura. As far as your continuing to set off the store alarms as you exit the building, perhaps they have a sense of humor as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised. Peace...

jAMiE said...

I have to admit i believe in ghosts/spirits and i definitely believe in angels. Ghosts scare me but i believe they mean no harm...