Friday, January 25, 2008

God and Bacon

Last year, I wrote a goofy post about bacon and how, according to my co-worker, everything in life is better if you wrap it in bacon. I don't know why I was thinking about it--truth be told, I think I've maybe eaten bacon twice in the past five years. And even that was turkey bacon.

Anyway, it all started when my daughter and I were eating lunch today. I made some chicken, cheese and avocado wraps (courtesy of the leftovers from dinner Wednesday night) and cooked up some pinto beans to go along with it. We were sitting quietly at the table, when my munchkin piped up and asked, "Mommy, we go see God? Go to church?"

I frowned a little. Not because she's asking about going to church, but because I knew I was going to have to tell her no. We're under strict orders from the doctor to keep her away from crowds and pretty much everyone--even family--until after he sees her next week. I broke the news that she couldn't go to church this weekend, but she took it in stride and replied with, "Oh. Okay. Well, God can come here to my house instead."

I did my best to explain that God is always around us, but we can't always see Him. She looked at me with the darndest expression and said, "I don't like it when God hides and I can't see Him. No, no, God. No hide and seek." It took everything in me not to laugh at her puzzled bewilderment and I had to remind myself, of course, that I'm having this conversation with a two-and-a-half-year-old. We finished lunch and she helped me clear the table before crawling into bed for a nap. Poor kid was exhausted.

After she was all snuggly warm under the covers with her favorite baby, a small stuffed frog, a princess baseball cap and a polka-dot sunhat, I went back into the kitchen and sat down at the table where she and I had just finished eating no too long before. I was gazing out the patio door at the leaden January sky that's threatening to drop more snow on the frozen tundra of my backyard when I decided it was time for a sit-down conversation with God.

That was when I started thinking about the bacon story.

My conversation, which was really more of a soliloquy on my part, went something like this...

Hey God. I hope You're having a good day. Things here are pretty good, but I guess You know that already. The kiddo is finally starting to feel better and I'm so grateful that I was able to take the time off work to be with her. But work? Work. I guess that's the point of this coversation today. I'm tired, God. Just tired. Past the point of being burned out and stretching into the realm of being unhappy. I'm working so hard all the time, and I'm afraid that I'm missing out on so much in the meantime. I had wanted so badly to quit my job and stay home to take care of my daughter from the time she was born, but it really wasn't in the cards then. I want so much for it to be in the cards now. I was thinking about a conversation I had with some co-workers about how life is better with bacon. Do You think that You could maybe send some bacon my way? Not bacon in the literal sense. But maybe just a little something extra to ease the pressure I've been under? I would gladly accept, say, a magic wand that I could wave over the pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen so that they would suddenly be clean and put away. But I'll take what I can get. Just something to be able to spend more time with my little girl.

At that moment, my prayer was answered. A small voice (that belongs to a little girl who should have been sleeping) called out, "Mommy? I don't take a nap today. God says we go make cupcakes."

I'm not one to argue with God. Or a cute little kid. Looks like it's time to make some blueberry-lemon cupcakes.

7 comments:

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

oh, so sweet! sniff.

I am gonna pray for some bacon for you.

annie said...

So sweet.

jAMiE said...

How darling...i hope you get some much deserved bacon Martha...because i know you will savour it like no one else.

Hope you enjoyed your cupcake making session with the little one.

Catherine said...

Several things have led me to believe that Heaven is either a carnival or a bakery. I am going to add this to the bakery file...

Margaret said...

Martha, this falls under the "be careful what you wish for" category.

Catherine, didn't you know that there is an awesome bakery stand at the carnival in Heaven?

Marni said...

Sooo sweet! Hope you enjoyed making those cupcakes - those are the best moments of all.

Katie said...

That's a great story - it's nice to know for certain when God is listening.