Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Dream, Dream, Dream

For the past three nights, I've had to shoo lions out of my daughter's bedroom.

She is normally such a good sleeper--she gets in her jammies, cuddles up for a story, then plays quietly in her bed for a few minutes before drifting off to sleep...

Until she had a bad dream about a lion running around her ceiling and another one jumping out of her mirror. Strange, right? I tried being my normal, rational self in explaining to her that there were no lions in her room, but she was absolutely refusing to even go into her bedroom, let alone crawl into bed to go to sleep.

I wear a lot of hats in my daily life, and I finally realized that I had to take off my mommy hat and my counselor hat, and put on my scared two-and-a-half year old hat.

So, I pulled out a bottle of Vanilla-Lavendar Linen Spray and called it Lion Spray. My daughter and I have been spraying her bedroom each night since the bad dream--one spray toward the ceiling, one spray by her dresser, and one spray by the closet door, just in case there's one hiding in there. She's back to sleeping peacefully.

I wish it was so easy to chase away my own bad dreams.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Awwwwww, what a sweet mommy you are. Miss you both! Hugs and kisses! (Rawr)! ;-)

Katie said...

My friend had to use "Monster Spray" to get his 4 year old to sleep in bed again too! I thought that was the most imaginative thing. And seeing how the "spray" was really just Febreeze, it was quite refreshing also! :)

Missy said...

Oh, you are so brilliant. Because lately, there has been a dog flying around Shep's room. He must be in cahoots with the lion. Definitely need some Flying Dog Spray!!