Thursday, December 06, 2007

Cooking with Puree

So, last weekend, I went through one of my cooking extravaganzas and utilized three recipes from Deceptively Delicious, the big-hype cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld. I'd heard a lot about it and was pretty intrigued.

Thanks to my sister, who found the darn book for me, since I couldn't find it anywhere in a 12-mile radius of my house.

Anyway, the whole concept has to do with pureeing vegetables and adding them to everyday recipes. For my first round of experiments, I opted to whip up some cauliflower puree and try out a few recipes.

Oh. My. Gosh.

They were so good. I made mashed potatoes, banana bread and peanut butter banana muffins, all with the cauliflower puree. Nobody could taste the cauliflower! Now, my husband, daughter and I love our veggies, but honestly, cauliflower makes me gag. I can't stand the smell, and to me, it looks like little brains (I know this from when I was pre-med and dissected a sheep's brain--I decided shortly thereafter to go into psychology instead). So, I figured if I could eat something with cauliflower puree, it had to be good. And it was.

I'd originally had a rocking post started for this, but it's been a particularly hellish week at work--lots of tragedy, and it's kind of put a damper on everything. If I can pull myself together, I might post about it, but it's going to have to wait until I get some emotional energy back.

That being said/written, I'm going to settle down and watch Grey's Anatomy.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sorry it's been so bad at work. Take a breather. I hope it's a good weekend for you and that you enjoyed Greys. So much blood!

Catherine said...

Brian and I love the chicken nugget recipe. I think he and I used squash and carrot puree. Mmmmmm, delicious!

Missy said...

Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you still TOOT like you do when you eat cauliflower the normal way??

jAMiE said...

Sounds very interesting..i know nothing of the book, though i heard she had one out. Can't imagine it in muffins but i trust y ou when you say it was good.

Sorry to hear about work stuff...hope you enjoyed Grey's...i'm a fan too.