Saturday, December 15, 2007

Body Image

I went shopping first thing this morning. On a Saturday. Ten days before Christmas. Ugh.

I'm more of a window shopper, but today, I was on a mission. I really, really needed a new pair of jeans. My most favorite, soft, broken-in, perfectly conformed to my body, mid-rise, bootcut jeans with just a hint of stretch, went to the The Big Closet in the Sky. The zipper broke. Bummer.

Anyway, I just need to rant for a minute. I'm not skinny. I'm curvy in all the right places, a little too curvy in some of the wrong places, but for the most part, I'm pretty comfortable with my body. Today, though, I fully realized that there's a reason why so many women have body image issues.

It's the darn designers of clothes. Seriously.

Since when can I slide beautifully into a size 10 pair of jeans, but all of a sudden--when I haven't gained or lost a single pound in several weeks--the NEW jeans I tried on just didn't fit, even though they were my regular size? And it wasn't that they just didn't fit. It was that I could barely get them over my knees. I grabbed a few more pairs in different sizes, and finally reached the peak of disgust, when, jumping around the dressing room, I realized I was trying to squeeze myself into a size 14 and couldn't get them to zip.

Apparently, "slim fit, low-rise" jeans are in right now. And that means that a regular chickie-doo like myself has to buy pants that are 2-3 sizes bigger, because holy crap, I actually have a butt and hips. And then the pants look stupid, because I have these pants on where the "waist" of the jeans is just above my rather wide, post-baby hips, and they fit great there, but they sag everywhere else.

For a split second, I wanted to cry. Finding clothes is difficult enough being tall and leggy, but you throw in curvy, and it's like I may as well just break out the sewing machine and make my own clothes--which I do on occasion, but it's usually skirts for summer.

After this very keen disappointment, I bought two sweaters instead. They're long enough that they'll cover the broken zipper on my favorite jeans. Take that, you naughty designers!

4 comments:

jAMiE said...

Awww...stinkin' designers...hope you find something soon!

ps i hate clothes shopping for myself...

Cheryl said...

Well, at least you know it's them and not you. Keep looking. I did well in Kohl's with Levi's. In the meantime, thank goodness for long tops. I happen to come from a family of flat butts. Jeans work well for us. Bathing suit bottoms don't.

Margaret said...

Pants shopping is the worst, ESPECIALLY jeans. Personally, I don't care what number is on the tag as long as they look and feel good because having jeans tailored is a pain!

Just keep your eyes open for something you love.

Missy said...

Buying bathing suits makes me literally cry. Literally. Cry.