Sunday, November 18, 2007

War on Germs

I hate being sick. Hate it, hate it, hate it. And did I mention that I hate it? Arghhhh.

The cold I had last week has morphed into a sinus infection. It's so bad that my top teeth hurt and my face is swollen, especially around my eyes. I've got two small, dark, beady spots where my expressive brown eyes usually reside. And since I'm so stuffed up, I'm having to mouth-breathe, which leaves that icky film around my lips. Yuck. I got a good look at myself in the mirror and lo and behold! It was like there was a rabid animal staring back at me! Funny. But not. Definitely not. There's nothing funny about gobs of goo and mountains of tissues.

My throat is finally feeling better, which is good. I forgot what a real sore throat felt like. I haven't been sick too much since I had my tonsils taken out last year. For those who don't know, I spent most of 2005 (which included a good chunk of my pregnancy) and the first several months of 2006 on and off antibiotics for a chronic throat infection and recurring strep. When my tonsils finally got to the point that they were interfering with my daily activities--namely, my ability to breathe properly--and the antibiotics just weren't working anymore, I finally took the ENTs advice and scheduled a tonsillectomy. Hands down, probably the best decision I've made in my adult life so far. During the surgery, the doc checked my adenoids, too, and discovered they were as big as rocks, so those came out, along with golf ball-sized tonsils. I remember waking up right after surgery, and even though I was in a lot of pain, it actually wasn't as bad as I had feared--it actually hurt less than my throat felt on a typical day with the tonsils in there! Of course, I was doped up on all kinds of good pain meds, but even when they wore off, I didn't feel too bad. Don't get me wrong, it did hurt, but the anticipation of the pain was way worse than the real thing...just a little FYI for anyone out there wondering what a tonsillectomy as an adult is like.

Sorry, just a little rambling there. Anyway, my point is that it's weird to have a sore throat now. I guess I could have said that right at the beginning and been done with it. Ah well.

My little munchkin is doing better, too. The worst part for her is that when she gets sick, her breathing problems flare up. Not asthma. It's worse than that. There's not even a name for it, at least not as far as I know. She had RSV as an infant, and it did a number on her tiny little lungs. We started her breathing treatments on Friday and she's showing some spunk today, which is a relief. We've dodged every bullet so far, and she hasn't had to be hospitalized even once. I hope I didn't just jinx it.

We all went to the dentist yesterday--stellar outcome, no cavities for anyone! My daughter hopped right up in the seat, sending out friendly greetings to the doctor and his staff. She was delighted with the blue bracelet she got from the prize chest since she was such a good girl for the doctor.

Oh, and the War on Germs? I went through the house today after I was done moaning and writhing on the floor from the pain of my sinus infection and sanitized every single doorknob, light switch, remote control and phone. After the munchkin goes to sleep tonight, I'll attack the hostile little things that are probably living on her toys. Great fun, huh?

2 comments:

jAMiE said...

Goodness sakes...take care and feel better soon.

Cheryl said...

I don't know why I had a tonsillectomy when I was 4. I wonder if it was just routine back then? I remember being in the hospital, my room, my visitors, and the ice cream and jello I got to eat. I got a special doll when I got home. I'm glad you explained what it was like to have one as an adult. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

I hope you chase all the germs away, and feel back to normal in time for Thanksgiving.